Secrets of the Armored Car Company Revealed

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I went to my local coin shop today and talked to the owner about coin roll hunting. This guy probably started selling coins before the Mint switched to clad. Here's never ripped me off, and over the years I've really come to value his opinions. His entire family, including his grandchildren, are in the precious metals business in some capacity or another. I have no reason to doubt what he told me. Here's the gist of it:

The guys that work for the armored car companies (Brinks, etc.) cherrypick the best coins when they're wrapping them. They throw the keepers into a big bucket, and then at the end of the year, the whole crew divide up what's in the bucket and split it evenly. It's their Christman bonus to themselves, and they use the profits, usually thousands of dollars each, to buy gifts, go on vacation, etc. Sometimes, they don't have time to cherrypick, but most of the time they do. But they only do so around those whom they trust. If outsiders are watching, they pretend to have no interest in the numismatic or bullion value of the coins. Halves are their favorite, of course.

The owner of the coin shop says he's friends with one of the Brinks guys, and every year, all the Brinks guys bring in their haul. I asked him why coin roll hunters still find silver if the armored car guys get to it first, and he explained that they sometimes don't catch everything, nor do they want to. They try to leave some silver, so coin roll hunters continue to hunt, which, as long as we keep ordering boxes, keeps them in business, because they have to ship the coins. But they usually pull the best ones (yes, Barbers are among those pulled). He said it's like a cycle, and the armored car guys need us, but they don't like for us to know about them, or we might order fewer boxes knowing that we might (no guarantee) have better luck just sorting bags or bank- or customer-wrapped rolls.

I cannot verify any of this, but I thought you'd like to know.

Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I used to do a lot of work with the guys at Wells Fargo armored car services, supplying them with uniforms and whatnot, and they did no counting at all at their offices. Apparently they shipped the coins to the banks in bags unless they requested otherwise, and then they would send them to a third-party coin roller. I almost fell over my feet each time I had to go there and saw pallets full of circulated bagged halves, quarters and others. I never could get permission to go through the bags since they had to stay sealed while they were on site. >:(

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
af1733 said:
I used to do a lot of work with the guys at Wells Fargo armored car services, supplying them with uniforms and whatnot, and they did no counting at all at their offices. Apparently they shipped the coins to the banks in bags unless they requested otherwise, and then they would send them to a third-party coin roller. I almost fell over my feet each time I had to go there and saw pallets full of circulated bagged halves, quarters and others. I never could get permission to go through the bags since they had to stay sealed while they were on site. >:(
Imagine a crh in the mist of all those pallets of halves, it would be like child in toyland. ;D ;D ;D

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Your story is interesting and I imagine it does happen. However, even in a small group of 3 people there would be someone skimming coins, and not throwing them in the pot. Which would lead to friction and employee problems. And of course they have to buy the havles, and I doubt its in the company handbook that this is permissable behavior. As well, do they really have time to sit there all day checking all the coins. My guess is a lot get through. Which is good for us. I imagine things are done differently at different companies, I would definitely like to learn more. Maybe Ill search the net a little bit.

Searcher

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I keep hearing you guys mentioning Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Those are banks, right? I have never seen any, although I've heard of them. Maybe there's one somewhere within driving distance. Where I live, its mainly Fifth Third, National City, Sky Bank, Chase, US Bank, Liberty, and a few others. Any of these familiar? Then there's Republic Bank, which isn't a bank at all, but an office building, which I made the mistake of trying to cash my halves at. lol :D

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Let us know if you find anything, Searcher. I'd love to learn more, too!

montyhall

Nov 27, 2006
Well, im not going to argue this point, in the last 2 weeks, i have ordered 2500 dollars in halfs from my bank, that is supplied by Brinks, and guess what....not one single silver..Only found 1 beat up old proof..Im done ordering!

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Feel free to quit ordering the boxes and bags, more for the rest of us. And slumps are tempororary, thats why its a slump, theres an upside.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
You might want to try another bank, (not branch). I have gotten boxes from about 4 different banks.
Now I only order from one bank only (and they have a lot of branchs) ;). It really does make a difference. If your fishing in one spot day after day and catch nothing. Lift anchor and move!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
silverfinder37 said:
af1733 said:
Imagine a crh in the mist of all those pallets of halves, it would be like child in toyland. ;D ;D ;D
Oh, it was painful at times. More than once I could actually see silver coins in the bags just by glancing at them, but there wasn't anything I could do about it. I didn't even know which banks those particular bags were going to since they hadn't been ordered yet. :'(

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Hey I got boxes marked brinks that were loaded. Some I got skunked on. The flat boxes I always did good but last night I got skunked big time! I got some diffrent more square boxes that are marked brinks and got 24 silver coins out of 3 boxes and $500 rolled in a bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions