Bi-centennials

W

wep1956

I have read in the forum that some bi-centennials have silver in them. I'm referring to 1976 Halves. Which ones contain silver and which ones don"t and how can you tell the difference? New to this hobby but am very interested. Looks like alot of fun. Oh, one more ?. How can you tell if a coin is a keeper just by looking at the edges? Interesting. Thanks for your help and HH. Later Bill

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
wep1956 said:
I have read in the forum that some bi-centennials have silver in them. I'm referring to 1976 Halves. Which ones contain silver and which ones don"t and how can you tell the difference? New to this hobby but am very interested. Looks like alot of fun. Oh, one more ?. How can you tell if a coin is a keeper just by looking at the edges? Interesting. Thanks for your help and HH. Later Bill

Well, first it has to have been minted in San Francisco. Then you have to figure out if it is a clad proof or a sliver clad proof. You can look at the edge and see if it looks all silver in color. If so, it probably is a silver clad coin. If it has the clad copper color on the edge, it is a clad coin. Other than that, the only way to be sure is to weigh them. Sorry I don't know the weights of each type, but the silver clad coin will be a little heavier. Hope that helps.

John

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
blurr said:
wep1956 said:

Well, first it has to have been minted in San Francisco. Then you have to figure out if it is a clad proof or a sliver clad proof. You can look at the edge and see if it looks all silver in color. If so, it probably is a silver clad coin. If it has the clad copper color on the edge, it is a clad coin. Other than that, the only way to be sure is to weigh them. Sorry I don't know the weights of each type, but the silver clad coin will be a little heavier. Hope that helps.

This coinfacts link will give you all the specs: (just pick the year/mint you're interested in)

http://www.coinfacts.com/half_dollars/kennedy_half_dollars/kennedy_half_dollars.html

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread