What would you think?

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got to thinking about which denomination has the most silver coins still in circulation. Of course everybody would think half dollars, but I tend to think it would be dimes. I know half dollars are easier to find, but their were far less minted over the last 50 years, so I would bet a pretty penny that that is why they are easier to find. If the same amount of dimes had been minted over the last 50 years as half dollars, I am sure dimes would come out ahead. What do you all think?

HH Michael

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got to thinking about which denomination has the most silver coins still in circulation. Of course everybody would think half dollars, but I tend to think it would be dimes. I know half dollars are easier to find, but their were far less minted over the last 50 years, so I would bet a pretty penny that that is why they are easier to find. If the same amount of dimes had been minted over the last 50 years as half dollars, I am sure dimes would come out ahead. What do you all think?

HH Michael

BDgXU.gif

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfs produce the most - end of story.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my 74 box skunk streak on halves has me thinking of going back to dimes- I on ly gave up dimes for a while as the new 2013s came out- hopefully in the next few weeks I can find some mixed boxes of dimes again- they where producing best for me thats for sure

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy all the 2013's and just keep dumping, then they'll be pushed through faster. I hate them too, but I do my part and get rid of them asap!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It used to be halves, up until about 2008 in my area. Rise in the price of silver brought in competition, and created a HUGE depletion of silver.
Dimes continue to produce, and (my) dime average hasn't changed much.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I know half dollars are easier to find, but their were far less minted over the last 50 years, so I would bet a pretty penny that that is why they are easier to find."

so making less makes them easier to find :dontknow:

"If the same amount of dimes had been minted over the last 50 years as half dollars, I am sure dimes would come out ahead. :icon_scratch:

What do you all think? :BangHead:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimes are good but you have to remember, at $1.44 a piece, you got to think are you really going to make money at a 1 per-box average to make seperate trips picking up the box and dumping the box at $3.29 a gallon?

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes are good but you have to remember, at $1.44 a piece, you got to think are you really going to make money at a 1 per-box average to make seperate trips picking up the box and dumping the box at $3.29 a gallon?

Gas is 3.29 a gallon??? i have to move!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

It's a hobby for most though, and the profit is not important. You do raise a good point that it is still better to have 1 90% half per box than say 2-3 dimes a box.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeing the LONG skunk streaks some guys show , I'll stick with dimes. I average about 2-per box over the past year(2013), was higher in 2012.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait a minute, you can make money doing this?

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that quarters and dimes have least. They are tapped so much!!!!

Half dollars have much lower montages than dimes and quarters so I would stick with halves . I'm only stuck with dimes cause halves too expensive to order by box for me. I found only 6 ounces of dimes in
1 1/2 years (not heavy searcher)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread