What would you think?

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got to thinking about which denomination has the most silver coins still in circulation. Of course everybody would think half dollars, but I tend to think it would be dimes. I know half dollars are easier to find, but their were far less minted over the last 50 years, so I would bet a pretty penny that that is why they are easier to find. If the same amount of dimes had been minted over the last 50 years as half dollars, I am sure dimes would come out ahead. What do you all think?

HH Michael

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It's really easy to make money coin roll hunting! That's why I have a blog about how to do it! :)
I read your blog. I see the "value" of silver coins found, but how much profit have you made?
I barely break even on time and gas costs, I'm usually in the hole.
I do understand, you have to sell your finds first, to be able to profit.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read your blog. I see the "value" of silver coins found, but how much profit have you made?

I agree!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody profits over the long haul with silver at $20.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really easy to make money coin roll hunting! That's why I have a blog about how to do it! :)

And so I thought as well when I 1st started- even contemplated doing it as a Pt job- i was doing real well with dimes, found almost 5 per box I n avg-then I started getting skunked- and then the new 2013 dimes came out box after box of them and now im on a 77 box skunk streak on halves- everyone on here will tell you crhing is a hobby and shouod not be done for quick profit- in the long run you are lucky to break even

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done about $100 in halves, but haven't had any luck. I want to order a box, but I only have about $150 to work with. I have found a silver dime in a cash register before, but I haven't had luck with rolls from my pickup bank. The only silver I get crh is war nickels. I also don't use my own gas. I just go with my mom when she has to go to the bank. Then sometimes my grandma takes me to town so I can help her carry groceries since she has arthritis pretty bad, and she lets me go in the local credit union to dump coins on the way home. Happy Hunting!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.96 it dropped yesterday!! 2.46 typo sorry.

Man $3.52 is cheapest around me

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mintage is misleading. Even though lots of quarters and dimes have been minted, they have also been heavily circulated, giving greater opportunity to cull the silver ones, especially if they have an older design (don't all of us look at the change we are handed?). The theory behind halves, that silver is more likely because they are circulated least, is a solid one, although that doesn't mean it is easy. I would bet that people are culling silver halves faster than other people are dumping them into circulation (and those dumped at banks are prey for sniping tellers).

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking about making a post sometime about how exactly I profit from coin roll hunting, but besides any coin losses from short rolls (which I'm pretty sure has even odds at having an over-filled and under-filled rolls based on experience), I have no other costs, beyond my time.

I'm also gainfully employed full-time so I'm not reliant on the income, exactly. Remember, there are other ways to make money beyond the coins you find....

:thumbsup: Trust me, it works.

EDIT: I did a very quick one and here it is. Enjoy! Coin Roll Hunting is Profitable! You CAN Make Money!

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking about making a post sometime about how exactly I profit from coin roll hunting, but besides any coin losses from short rolls (which I'm pretty sure has even odds at having an over-filled and under-filled rolls based on experience), I have no other costs, beyond my time.

I'm also gainfully employed full-time so I'm not reliant on the income, exactly. Remember, there are other ways to make money beyond the coins you find....

:thumbsup: Trust me, it works.

What about gas? Do you use your company's car for CRH? Otherwise, gas and wear/tear on your vehicle are expenses too.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about gas? Do you use your company's car for CRH? Otherwise, gas and wear/tear on your vehicle are expenses too.

I'm a no-car CRH'er. Sure I have a car, but no need for it in CRH expense log!

I talk a little more about how it all works in that little article I threw together: Coin Roll Hunting is Profitable! You CAN Make Money! If there's continued interest then I'll expand more on the topic.

Cut costs in CRH and profit will follow very quickly. Sure, you can't live off of it, but if you're going to be doing it for fun anyway, it might as well be cash-positive.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread