image-2242645008.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be mean or anything, but I think that the "L" was caused by a very well-placed gouge. In the picture, there is some sort of depression under the bar of the L not seen under the rest of the numbers and a blob of metal at the end of it. It could have been mutilated to look like that as well. But the sheer chances of the gouge happening at that spot, at that angle, and the raised metal to be that high would be astronomical if it was by accident. Based on the evidence (the coin being pretty banged up), that would be my answer. I would keep it for the heck of it.

OP
OP
K

ktb615

Nov 4, 2013
Oh, nice. I see it now that I look closer. Especially when I compare it to all the other gouges on the coin. My eyes just couldn't make it out last night. Thanks for the help.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a mint error coin. It would be hard to gouge a die perfectly. seeing the coins are stamped and everything is raised. HH and congrats who knows maybe in a few years it will be like all error coins and be valuable. You may want to have it authenticated by a grading company

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a mint error coin. It would be hard to gouge a die perfectly. seeing the coins are stamped and everything is raised. HH and congrats who knows maybe in a few years it will be like all error coins and be valuable. You may want to have it authenticated by a grading company

Not good advice. It isn't a mint error. Everything isn't "raised on a die. In fact, it is the opposite. It would also be easy to gouge the die in this manner. I'm gonna have to say damage on this one. This coin will always be worth 1 cent, unless it gets buried for a few months.
HH
enamel7

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news is that the coin is copper!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread