Questions, need answers on AG coins

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Q#1 : what is the real difference between Spot price AND Melt price?

Q#2. : when you might sell AG coins, do they (the buyer) go with the TRUE weight of the coin as it is today (worn down, etc.) times 90% @ current silver price, OR, they use the minted Standard Weight of the coins silver value (I.e. dimes=.07234 oz of silver) times the current silver price.

True answers from those who have physically experienced the above, please reply. NO, " I think so" answers, thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q#1 : what is the real difference between Spot price AND Melt price?

Q#2. : when you might sell AG coins, do they (the buyer) go with the TRUE weight of the coin as it is today (worn down, etc.) times 90% @ current silver price, OR, they use the minted Standard Weight of the coins silver value (I.e. dimes=.07234 oz of silver) times the current silver price.

True answers from those who have physically experienced the above, please reply. NO, " I think so" answers, thanks in advance.

Since you don't want "I thinks" I won't answer #1
#2 when ever I've sold I've never sold by weight- only x amount X the denomination FV ($17 X $1FV) as an example
I base my sale on what the local lcs is selling and go just below that

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 - Not 100% sure if what I think is correct is indeed correct, so I will refrain from answering as requested. But I will add that many people use the terms interchangably even though they likely have different meanings technically.

#2 - In most cases today, silver coins are bought and sold by coin, not by actual weight. Value is calculated on what the coin is supposed to weigh. Should the price of silver skyrocket in the future, I expect that to completely flip-flop and coins will be bought and sold by actual weight.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought melt and spot meant the same. They do not. I did a quick internet search and found the answer. It's a somewhat drawn out answer.

Have seen "slick" coins weighed out, and crisp coins sold per coin "melt".

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought melt and spot meant the same. They do not. I did a quick internet search and found the answer. It's a somewhat drawn out answer.

Have seen "slick" coins weighed out, and crisp coins sold per coin "melt".

Would love to see the link you found n the difference

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
These exact questions were asked like a month ago... I think they used the exact same words too... 0.0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread