Bitter Sweet Saturday Morning....

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally talked my husband into taking me to Baton Rouge this morning....will cost me... ;)......we went to about 15 banks and only two had any rolls. One bank had 1 roll and another bank had four rolls. Total haul....1 90% and 2-40%.... :(..... :-[.

Now comes the good part.....as I was talking to the teller at the bank with 4 rolls....the teller next to her said she had a bunch of the large Ike dollar coins (18 total)....so I asked if I could see them.....she had them in one of those white envelopes that they normally put the paper money in & when I laid them out I saw this baby.....a 1921 Morgan dollar!!!!! I immediatly told her I would buy them....paid her for the dollars and rolls and about ran out to my husbands truck.....he told me I came out so quick he thought I robbed the place.....lol.

Getting this one coin was worth for trip for me.

Attachments

• 1921 Morgan Dollar 001.jpg
    1921 Morgan Dollar 001.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 1921 Morgan Dollar 002.jpg
    1921 Morgan Dollar 002.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Holy Moly!!!!!
Pay your husband whatever he asks!
BitterSAAAWWEEEEEETTTT!!!
WTG Lejeuene!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
How could the teller mistake a beautiful lady on the Morgan with Ike. I know. The hair is the same. :D :D :D.

Great job, keep it up..That certainly would make me happy too.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Thats absolutely amazing!!!! I bet it was hard to keep your cool in the bank when you saw that. I only have two Morgans, 1 was a gift, and the other cost me 20$ at a flee market. It is so intriguing what is found at banks. good luck and happy hunting during the silver rush of 2007.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lejeuene ....Congrats on a very nice find...see you are getting right into roll hunting and doing quite well at it...great job!!

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
So So Sweet. I was at a bank today and asked for large dollars. They pulled out a roll of large dollars. I said Ill take it. I prayed I would get a Peace or Morgan......and nothing but Ikes. Oh well. Im glad someone got it! ;)

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.....I am still walking about 6 inches off of the ground. I am just shocked it was there.

First, I don't understand how a coin like this is cashed in at a bank....2nd, how come a teller didn't snatch it when it was turned in? Maybe all 18 of the IKes were cashed in at one time and this one was in the middle and just got caught up in the stack and never really looked at.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Do you have a spare bedroom I could stay in for a couple of months?

How much do hotels run? maybe I could pay for them with silver and still have tons left over.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lejeuene, I think your hunch to go to Baton Rouge was really a premonition. You knew that Morgan beauty was waitin' for ya! Congrats!

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Gorgeous coin, in wonderful condition. I'm still hoping to score some old silver dollars at banks - I believe that with some luck and persistence that day will come. I remember how easy it used to be to get Morgan and Peace Dollars from savings banks - the banks had many, and were glad to get rid of them. I recall with bitterness how I, just for the hell of it, would go to my local bank with a dollar bill in hand and "buy" a silver dollar, which I would keep for a while as a novelty and then spend. Many of those dollars were AU, perhaps even BU, as they still had full luster. And they dated from the 1880's, and 1890's, some with CC mint marks. I had disdain for the newer Peace Dollars, as they were too recent to have any intrinsic value to me. This was in the late 1950's and early 60's.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
lejeuene said:
I finally talked my husband into taking me to Baton Rouge this morning....will cost me... ;)......we went to about 15 banks and only two had any rolls. One bank had 1 roll and another bank had four rolls. Total haul....1 90% and 2-40%.... :(..... :-[.

Now comes the good part.....as I was talking to the teller at the bank with 4 rolls....the teller next to her said she had a bunch of the large Ike dollar coins (18 total)....so I asked if I could see them.....she had them in one of those white envelopes that they normally put the paper money in & when I laid them out I saw this baby.....a 1921 Morgan dollar!!!!! I immediatly told her I would buy them....paid her the the dollars and rolls and about ran out to my husbands truck.....he told me I came out so quick he thought I robbed the place.....lol.

Getting this one coin was worth for trip for me.

Great find !!! Definitely worth the price of gas to Baton Rouge.

Kudos.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is a beauty, Congrats on a great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread