Nic-A-Date Question

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a thread about nic-a-date TWO days ago. I recommend using it, it works well; however, it does leave a nasty looking stain on the coin, but what is a dateless buffalo worth? next to nothing. You have nothing to lose!

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a thread about nic-a-date about a week ago. I recommend using it, it works well; however, it does leave a nasty looking stain on the coin, but what is a dateless buffalo worth? next to nothing. You have nothing to lose!

Same.

I'd buy it if you like hunting nickels.

Give me a sec and I'll upload some pics of my coin album that I'm working on. A lot of the early ones I've pulled are dateless (pre-1920).

- DS

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here you go. This is end result on Nic-a-Date. Pics of my coin folder I am working on (75% of these came from circulation).

View attachment 937443 View attachment 937444
View attachment 937445 View attachment 937446
View attachment 937447 View attachment 937448

I attached inverted color pics in case some of the dates were kind of hard to see.

HH!
- DS

Also, on a side note, I would much rather see 2 threads 2 days apart about Nic-a-Date than see 2 threads 2 days apart about "hi what coins should i search", "i heard brinks culls all the silver", and "what years are silvers".

If you have any other questions/comments WheatWaffle, feel free to PM me.

:)

EDIT: You'll have to take my word that the one in 1919 is correct, it's REALLY tough to see.

Last edited:

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't recommend Nic-a-Date more highly. A 1.25 ounce bottle has lasted me years and years. Love the stuff.

A few stats:

Of the 80 buffalo nickels I've used it on, 60 turned out to be pre-1920. I've never encountered a dateless buff from the 1930s (newest = 1929)

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't recommend Nic-a-Date more highly. A 1.25 ounce bottle has lasted me years and years. Love the stuff.

A few stats:

Of the 80 buffalo nickels I've used it on, 60 turned out to be pre-1920. I've never encountered a dateless buff from the 1930s (newest = 1929)

what exactly is the science behind the nic-a -date formula?
I just find it fascinating that you can bring out an image of a material that wasn't there...

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what exactly is the science behind the nic-a -date formula?
I just find it fascinating that you can bring out an image of a material that wasn't there...

The date contains a higher percentage of copper than the rest of the coin as a result of the stamping process. nic-a-date is just an acid (not sure which one, I don't have the bottle) and basically it eats away the nickel faster than the copper.

what do you guys think, is nic-a-dating better with the ugly circle around the date or if the whole coin is soaked? I soak the whole coin, while it leaves no area undamaged it at least looks even

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The date contains a higher percentage of copper than the rest of the coin as a result of the stamping process. nic-a-date is just an acid (not sure which one, I don't have the bottle) and basically it eats away the nickel faster than the copper.

what do you guys think, is nic-a-dating better with the ugly circle around the date or if the whole coin is soaked? I soak the whole coin, while it leaves no area undamaged it at least looks even

So u soak the whole coin in nic-a-date or vinegar? I've used vinegar to soak nickels before in the past but it leaves a very flat dull finish on the coin.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So u soak the whole coin in nic-a-date or vinegar? I've used vinegar to soak nickels before in the past but it leaves a very flat dull finish on the coin.

I sometimes do the whole face of the coin if it's just really bad looking.

I usually use vinegar mixed with salt on nasty nickels.

View attachment 938084 View attachment 938085

Before and after, I soaked in vinegar/salt mixture until the brown coloring faded away and it looked like a nickel, then used Nic-a-Date on the date.

Worked like a charm!

- DS

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I sometimes do the whole face of the coin if it's just really bad looking.

I usually use vinegar mixed with salt on nasty nickels.

View attachment 938084 View attachment 938085

Before and after, I soaked in vinegar/salt mixture until the brown coloring faded away and it looked like a nickel, then used Nic-a-Date on the date.

Worked like a charm!

- DS

That's impressive that it worked so well on that coin. And its interesting too because I just found a dark nd buffalo yesterday that looks a lot like the before pic of your coin. It looks like the last digit on my coin might be a 3 but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably start soaking it this wknd. So does adding the salt with the vinegar help some?

Btw, so that's a '13D T2? that's a nice find and sure worth restoring. And I just took a closer look at my coin again and I think the last digit is probably a 4 and no mint mark that I can tell.

Attachments

• nd dark buff.jpg
    nd dark buff.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's impressive that it worked so well on that coin. And its interesting too because I just found a dark nd buffalo yesterday that looks a lot like the before pic of your coin. It looks like the last digit on my coin might be a 3 but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably start soaking it this wknd. So does adding the salt with the vinegar help some?

Btw, so that's a '13D T2? that's a nice find and sure worth restoring. And I just took a closer look at my coin again and I think the last digit is probably a 4 and no mint mark that I can tell.

Yes, I got it from my uncle. It was like an orange brown color. I always mix salt and vinegar and it usually works well (and it seems like it speeds it up). Just check it every half hour or so, it usually takes only a couple of hours and I rinse it off, pat it dry, and then Nic-a-Date.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I got it from my uncle. It was like an orange brown color. I always mix salt and vinegar and it usually works well (and it seems like it speeds it up). Just check it every half hour or so, it usually takes only a couple of hours and I rinse it off, pat it dry, and then Nic-a-Date.

Wow just a couple of hours? That really does speed it up because I usually soak my coins without salt for days. No wonder my coins always have such a dull finish after I soak them lol. Thanks for the tip. Btw, probably a dumb question but I'm assuming u mean just regular iodized salt right? I only ask because I buy sea salt for myself to use at home but I think I have some of those small packets of iodized salt at home also.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All personal preference. I dont like the stain nicadate leaves, but vinegar will flatten out tge coin. I just think it looks more even.

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Here it is on Amazon:
Amazon.com: nic a date
Though I think overall you should try the vinegar/salt solution before this. But if not it's only ~10$ here for the 1.25. (Didn't check what's price but assuming it's close, and that link is above too so..)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread