waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I've mentioned before, my bank sells me all of the cent bags from the main office and one branch. This normally results in 2-6 bags per week for me to search. This week the tellers at the main office were eagerly awaiting my visit. Seems some organization is having a fund raiser by asking for coins. They dumped them all at the main branch, so I wound up with 15 bags of cents from the main office and 3 from the branch office. They were all giggling as I pushed the cart out and tried to distribute them in my car so the rear end wouldn't drag the ground.

The last time this happened about 1.5 years ago I got one bag with over 700 wheat cents. Can I be that lucky again. Updates to follow.

Attachments

• cents.JPG
    cents.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What Will I Find?????

Yes, please do......good luck.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bag #1 20 Wheat Cents including a 1921

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow it's a penny bonanza! Can't wait for the results... Good luck!

tw656

Jan 13, 2007

Makes a lot of "Cents" to Me. Good Luck. Your bound to find a few (or maybe many) good ones. Let us know.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

waseeker said:
Bag #1 20 Wheat Cents including a 1921

Looks like you had your "Wheaties" this morning. :D

Continued good luck and keep us posted.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Where and how do you dump all that you do not want?

What was the dollar value on those?

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark

Wow what a good deal you have going. I think those bags would suppress my hunger for a few weeks. Good luck ,and hope you can Knock out a few coins on Gman's list.

PanManStan

Mar 5, 2007
Milwaukee

Just remember there's only about 143 pennies in a pound of copper. Last I checked copper was goin for about $2.25 a pound

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats alot of pennies, good luck
where do you dump all of them?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a long week of late nights.

I am trying to set up the scenario you have with picking up bags of cents and halves as the bags fill up with some of my local banks, but the only ones who seem somwhat willing don't get much coinage, so haven't had much success so far.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigtime400 said:
yeah!! let us know what you find when you are done in 2008. ;D
packerbacker said:
I'm kinda old so I probably won't be around to hear the fianal tally but, good luck to you anyway.

After a couple of years of doing this, I generally just look for wheat cents and it doesn't take me long to go through a bag. Being retired helps also.

I'll have them pretty well done by late next week. It would be sooner but I'm off to a 3 day golf tournament Friday.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cyberdan said:
Where and how do you dump all that you do not want?

What was the dollar value on those?

They go to the branch office. The tellers there are just absolutely wonderful to me. I drop them off, then during the slow parts of their day they run them through the machine and deposit the funds in my account. I take them in the day before their armored car pickup so they don't have them in the vault for long. They also mark the tags so I don't get the same ones back from them. at this branch I generally get 1 and occasionally 2 bags per week. The main office is near several apartment complexes and a mall so I think that is why they get so many more coins.

$900.00 or 90,000 coins

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMan00001 said:
Looks like a long week of late nights.

I am trying to set up the scenario you have with picking up bags of cents and halves as the bags fill up with some of my local banks, but the only ones who seem somwhat willing don't get much coinage, so haven't had much success so far.

This relationship has evolved over a 3-4 year period. I was still selling lots of stuff on eBay so had checks and money orders to deposit every couple of days. Got to know the tellers and talked about coins. From that they would sell me a bag of cents and half dollars when they got one. Then one day I asked about the main branch and if they would sell me their's. The branch manage contacted them and they agreed and the rest as they say is history. In the past couple of months I've found another bank that will sell me a bag of cents when they get one, so if I have a slow week at my regular stops I go buy and visit them. They are also keeping tabs on the bag of half dollars in their machine and will sell it to me when it is full.

Now the rest of the story After 25 years of setting behind a desk I took a job that required 40-45 weeks of travel per year. While I'm not the sharpest pencil in the pack, it didn't take me long to realize that being nice, respectful and cooperative got me upgrades on flights and hotel rooms.

After a while that became second nature to me so I would talk to the tellers, thank them for helping me, take them chocolates or when they were on diets I would take them a fruit tray or a homemade treat. if it is a really hot day I take them some ice cream treats. I think they have come to think of me as their surrogate grandfather, as they always have something of a personal nature to say or ask about.

They now keep a list of what I am looking for and if it comes through their window they let me know. They have referred customers to me when they have come in to ask how to get rid of old coins. And also, they know that IF I ever find a 1969S DDO we're all going to have a big party ;D

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What Will I Find????? 1st Update Mar 8 2007

Well, I've gotten through 6 of the bags and here are the results.

Bag #1 20 Wheat cents including a 1921.

Bag #2 14 What Cents including a 1916-s and 1938-s

Bag #3 0 Wheat Cents and 1 clad dime.

Bag #4 18 Wheat Cents including a 1921-s, 1925 and 1930-s. Also a 1974 stamped with the image of South Dakota and the letters SD.

Bag #5 57 Wheat Cents including a 1928 AND 3 Indian Head Cents dated 1889, 1892 & 1909.

Bag #6 14 Wheat Cents and 26 Clad Dimes.

A pretty good start, especially the IHC.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Great finds and keep us posted.

Are photos a possibility (we are a simple people and love photos) ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions