Couple of Nice Scores

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I have cut way bock on my CRH lately because of health reasons so I was glad when I checked at my local drive-up if any halves had come in and the regular Teller answered, "Yes, five rolls and I was thinking about you ... they all look real nice." First roll was nothing except clad but, the next 4 were 1 short of solid and had some of the best looking 40%'s I have ever gotten CRH, 79 silver halves out of 80 that looked like someone had hidden them away 47 years ago and just recently rolled them up.

Another score I got this year was from a customer who has been telling me for 2-3 years about the bunch of coins that she had up North from a bunch of different people who had given them to her or she got when they died that she finally brought down for me to go through. When she gave them to me just after Christmas she told me that if we got rich from anything we could split it. It was a big little bag with a lot of different boxes and containers of different kinds of coins. Some were already in 2X2's but most were just loose mixed in with whatever other coins that person had. As I started going through them I was amazed and started thinking there was no way that she could just give all of this to me, I plan on creditting her at least a hundred towards cutting her lawn.

Half of the coins were from different countries and most not in a case are worn but almost everything is 50's or older so even just the scrap silver value was at least 100-200. There were over 40 dimes, Rosies, Mercs, a few older Canadians, and one 1875-s Dime. There were 9 quarters, 5 Washintons, 2 Ca. a 1957 and a 1907, and 3 Standing Liberties (which I had none of before) a 26, 28, and 1 dateless. Halfs were 2 40%'s, my first Barber 1907-D, and a Capped Bust 1822 which will be the oldest coin I now own. There were also 2 coins from the Filipinas, a 1907-s one peso and a 1904 20 centavos. A 1876 Von Hesson 5 mark german, a 1940 2 1/2 G Wilhelmina, and a 1952 5 Pesos Mexicanos were the nice bigger coins. For scrap silver there was even a Medallic Art Co NY 5 oz Seal of the State of Indiana included even though I don't plan on ever selling anything she gave me.

I tell all the people that I work for about what I do CRH and sometimes show them a few coin books on the hopes that they will try to help me out with my collections and give me whatever they might have. I have gotten a few here and there but nothing like this before.

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you mention an 1822 capped bust but no pics?!?!?!

Haha, Wow thats a great score... good idea by talking people up about it...

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
ros.jpg
rosrev1.jpg

I put most of them into cases and didn't want to take them out to scan them. I showed the capped bust to a dealer who said it was worth around 50.

r2rcapbar.jpg r2capbar.jpg
Had this scan before the cases but I put them in upside down.

Attachments

• mixa1.jpg
    mixa1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 97

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bust half is in nice condition i bet its more than $50
Congrats

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the coin on the top left on the first 2 pics?? It says one pesos, then on the back, united states of america?

Very nice collection! Love that capped bust... man that would be one heck of a find in the wild!

LOVE THE SLQ's too! They are my favorite quarter design.

HH

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
From what I found they were made by the US Mint for the Philippines but they spelled it Filipinas on the coin. There were a couple of the different coins all 1907 like they came from a mint set and the big one was in a holder so it is in good condition. They were all silver.

From 1908 to 1935 the United States administered the Philippine Islands and issued several nice coins that are eagerly collected today. The same basic pattern of a woman, an anvil, and a volcano was used on 10, 20, and 50 centavos coins, and also the 1 peso coins.

I was real glad to get all of the different kind of coins that I had none of. There were even a few errors that were in holders and marked.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I found they were made by the US Mint for the Philippines but they spelled it Filipinas on the coin. There were a couple of the different coins all 1907 like they came from a mint set and the big one was in a holder so it is in good condition. They were all silver.

From 1908 to 1935 the United States administered the Philippine Islands and issued several nice coins that are eagerly collected today. The same basic pattern of a woman, an anvil, and a volcano was used on 10, 20, and 50 centavos coins, and also the 1 peso coins.

I was real glad to get all of the different kind of coins that I had none of. There were even a few errors that were in holders and marked.

:coffee2: Actually the Philippines were a American possession from 1898 to 1946. They were acquired from Spain after the Spanish-American war. In 1935 it was granted Commonwealth status & was given full independence in July 1946. The coins for the Philippines were minted in San Francisco & shipped to the Philippines. I have a 50 Centavo coin minted in 1944 & it is silver.

HH
Gary

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I thought what I had was a broken-up mint set but I see they are different years. Besides the 1907 1 pesos, I have a 1944 ten centavos, a 1904 twenty centavos, and a 1944 fifty centavos. The 44's have a different design on the reverse than the earlier ones.

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that bust half is somewhere between VG and F condition, and according to Red Book is valued at $70 - $100. Super find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions