Box of enders, to sell on ebay or open?

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past few months I have saved enough enders to fill a box, they consist of 2 Walkers, 6 Bens, 4-64' Kens and the rest are all 40% with obverse showing. I was going to sell them on FeeBay, I usually sell single coins with a .99 starting bid and no reserve but for this box I would probably go $500 opening bid with a $800-$1000 reserve. BUT I have had health issues over the last several weeks and have not been able to do any CRHing so I really want to feed my addiction and find silver. The money from the sale would be nice if the bidding goes high, but finding silver is a blast. So to sell or open? :icon_scratch:
Thanks Fellow CRHer's and HH
Agme

Attachments

• MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 198
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 200
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 175
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 194
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
agme

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the well wishes and the ideas and opinions on what you would do.:thumbsup:
Good luck to all of you!

unroller

Dec 28, 2012
FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy the rolls yourself. That is my vote! I too keep the ender rolls, have several boxes, and have sold on Ebay. After selling a few rolls, I found it not worth the hassle. I too have 100% positive feedback and accept all returns. I got near half of the rolls back for refunds with 19 clads and the one ender. I am sure those rolls had more than just the ender. If you sell, don't accept returns!

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you combine the hassle of selling on Ebay withe the mystery of what those rolls might contain I really don't see that you have a choice. Open those suckers up and let us know what you find!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet box. statistically, in a box there is on average 10 silver coins for every one silver ender showing (total coins in a box (1000) / [(coins showing per roll (2) x rolls in box (50)] = 10. However, in a normal box if there are 3 silver enders, those 30 likely silvers will be spread throughout an entire box, meaning that an ender roll in your box doesn't represent 10 silver coins, it just represents a box that 10 silver coins from (on average, again). So the problem is, statistically how many silvers should be in your box if a function of the average number of total enders in the boxes they came from. I'll give a few examples. These aren't corrected for the fact that in a given roll after finding one non-ender silver, there are less coins in the roll that can be another silver. but that will complicate things. it just means the percentages for finding a 2nd and 3rd non-ender silver in a roll are slightly high (by about a tenth)

assuming each roll was the only ender in the box they came from:

Avg. Total Non-ender Silver in Box = 9

# of rolls they can be in = 50
Chances of a roll containing a non-ender silver = 18% or (9/50) *100
Chances of a roll containing 2 non-ender silvers = 2.8% or (9/50)*(8/50) *100
Chances of a roll containing 3 non-ender silvers = 0.4% or (9/50)*(8/50)*(7/50) *100
Chances of a roll containing 4 non-ender silvers = 0.04% or (9/50)*(8/50)*(7/50)*(6/50) *100

Now let's look at an ender roll that came from a box with 2 ender rolls total

Avg. Total Non-ender Silver in Box = 18

Chances of a roll containing a non-ender silver = 36% or (18/50) *100
Chances of a roll containing 2 non-ender silvers = 12.2% or (18/50)*(17/50) *100
Chances of a roll containing 3 non-ender silvers = 3.9% or (18/50)*(17/50)*(16/50) *100
Chances of a roll containing 4 non-ender silvers = 1.2% or (18/50)*(17/50)*(16/50)*(15/50) *100

See, it really depends! let's say that half your rolls Came from boxes with 1 ender and half your rolls came from boxes with 2 enders, just to be safe. Now the percentages are 27% (1 non-ender silver), 6.7 % (2 non-ender silvers), 1.5% (3 non-ender silvers), and 0.3% (4 non-ender silvers) So, here are the statistics of each roll, making a couple minor assumptions

% of rolls with no additional silver = 64.5%
% of rolls with silver = 35.5%

Avg. # of silver coins in roll in addition to ender coin =

1*.27 + 2*.067 + 3*.015 + 4*.003 = .461

so, about every other roll will contain an additional silver (on average. in reality you will likely find several rolls in a roll with none and/or rolls with several additional silver). Because there is a guaranteed 1 silver coin in each roll, there will be, on average, 1.461 silver coins per roll. times 50 rolls means you are most likely to find 73 silver coins in the box. <----skip to here if you don't care about the math :cat:

Because you are showing 2 walkers (4% of enders), 6 bens (12%), 4 64's (8%), and 38 40%ers (76%), that breaks down to

Average likely finds:

Walkers: 2.9 (or 1 more than what's showing probably)
Bens: 8.76 (so 2 - 3 more than what's showing)
1964's: 5.84 (1-2 more than showing)
40%ers: 55.48 (17-18 more than showing)

For a total of 17.5 90%ers and 55.48 40%ers, you are likely to find 14.52 OZ . At a spot of 19.83 that's $288.29. Subtracting the face value of silver the silver profit would be $251.79

So i guess you'd want to make at least $750 on the box if it's going to be worth selling. just sayin'

Keep in mind that averages are often way off. Like the old saying that if you tailor a suit to the average size of 100 people, it will fit none of them. The 90% averages will be further off than the 40% averages since the sample size is smaller. I hope you strike it big

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I assume you kept track of the boxes each ender came in? That is, if an ender came out of a box that was chock full of silver, and other rolls had multiple silvers per roll, I for one wouldn't sell that roll! but if the roll came from a box that had little or no other silver, I'd assume it had only the ender.

Are these the first 50 enders you had, or did you reserve suspected loaded ender rolls?

OP
OP
agme

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you kept track of the boxes each ender came in? That is, if an ender came out of a box that was chock full of silver, and other rolls had multiple silvers per roll, I for one wouldn't sell that roll! but if the roll came from a box that had little or no other silver, I'd assume it had only the ender.

Are these the first 50 enders you had, or did you reserve suspected loaded ender rolls?

I didn't keep track of where each roll came from (but should of). They were not my first enders. But when I stated doing this I wanted to fill a box with enders, 90s and obverse Kens, as fast as possible so I pulled them all, some boxes they came from were good, most (like normal) were bad.
I got the idea back when I posted a new thread called "Had a good weekend for enders", I jokingly talked about maybe starting to fill a box, and then got serious and did it. I would post a link to that thread if I knew how.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Use a pin-point metal detector, set it to silver or gold mode

garrett_pro_pointer_for_sale.jpg

If you get a signal for the middle of the roll, set that roll aside and keep it. If you get a weak signal it's probably clad, then list that roll on eBay.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember, you can always just weight the dang rolls.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
remember, you can always just weight the dang rolls.

But there could always be a mixture, like a gold foreign coin, a 40%er, and a clad or a magicians half that, together, will throw the weight off just enough to make you think there's nothing good in it, when in all reality there's something better in it. Weighing it, you'll always be second guessing. So coinfetcher, homie, I'll just say, in my professional opinion as a coin roll hunter, that weighing it is the least accurate method.

Running an electric current through it and determining the impedance will give you a good estimate. Heck, even an ohm meter would work better than weighing it (assuming there's not alot of clad in between which would mess it all up). Less resistance = more silver. More resistence = more clad. If you get a dead signal, then odds are there is a non-metalic magician's half.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay just changed their policy on unsearched rolls, I had a proof ender from a box taken down and I have heard others have had all theirs taken down as well. looks like you have no choice now!

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Use a pin-point metal detector, set it to silver or gold mode

garrett_pro_pointer_for_sale.jpg

If you get a signal for the middle of the roll, set that roll aside and keep it. If you get a weak signal it's probably clad, then list that roll on eBay.

Forgive my ignorance but one can never tell sarcasm through typed font. This is satire correct? I only ask bc... the Pro Pointer only has 1 mode..on/off
That I am aware of..and I've had mine a couple of years now. Either way I'm going to look dumb here I think :)

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay just changed their policy on unsearched rolls, I had a proof ender from a box taken down and I have heard others have had all theirs taken down as well. looks like you have no choice now!

Wow just checked and yep them all are invalid- there were a couple on there that where the highest ive ever seen- wonder if there where SO many complaints or what?

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow just checked and yep them all are invalid- there were a couple on there that where the highest ive ever seen- wonder if there where SO many complaints or what?

yea prices got ridiculous, it was a bubble that burst

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea prices got ridiculous, it was a bubble that burst

Not sure how the bubble busted unless you mean ebay shutting them down- I cant believe people are willing to pay that much for not knowing- id rather just buy the ag with the amount these jokesters are spending

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread