Coin Star Sorting Question

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Have a question for the CRHunters:

I recently purchased a $250 dime box. I have to admit, I think I have ADD and find sorting through 2500 little dimes a bit arduous. I found 2 silvers and thought the rest were duds. I I took the remnants to my local bank and dumped them in the Coin Star coin counter. To my surprise, the machine kicked out one Canadian that was apparently in the box, 2 clad dimes that may be damaged ( I recycled them twice and they got kicked out again) and 2 additional silvers (1946 and 1949). I took a chance and recycled the 1946 and it ended up in the return bin the second time.

Does anyone know if the counter / sorters reject silver for some reason? Man if so my hunting will become a lot easier.

Happy hunting everyone..

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some do, some don't. I hope you're not using the same bank you pick up at to dump.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you answered your own question- it rejected it the first time but kept it the second time- more often than not it will keep them- otherwise people wouldnt be buying the bags off the machines and we wouldnt find hardly and silver coins-
And if gong through just 1box was tough for ya you might want to reconsider the hobby- especially if you missed a couple silver dimes - which by the way congrats on finding 4 in 1 box

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Silver dimes are relatively old coins (then newest one are 50 yrs old), thus they tend to be worn.
Coin counters will reject worn dimes (silver or not). But don't count on it. The least worn ones won't be rejected.

Congrats on finding 4 silver dime from a single box, but.....
You miss half the silver dimes the first time through. Was the lighting bright enough?
Try rim searching and then face searching for a few boxes to see where/how you are missing.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you answered your own question- it rejected it the first time but kept it the second time- more often than not it will keep them- otherwise people wouldnt be buying the bags off the machines and we wouldnt find hardly and silver coins-
And if gong through just 1box was tough for ya you might want to reconsider the hobby- especially if you missed a couple silver dimes - which by the way congrats on finding 4 in 1 box

He said it didn't keep it the second time.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
How on earth did you miss two?!? We're you rim searching? That might explain it. Glad the coin star saved 'em for ya!

Today's the day! ~Mel Fisher

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I do a quick rim search when I open the paper roll, but then I date check each dime. I have found several that we're very tea stained tarnished that would have been overlooked of only rim check was done.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said it didn't keep it the second time.

Wow totally misread that lol

OP
OP
JimVT36

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess dimes aren't my thing. I've been doing half dollars ( like everyone else these days) and it relatively easy to spot the silvers with the edge search. The dimes are obviously not so easy. I agree with one comment in that the old dimes tend to be thinner from wear as I recently found a 1907 Barber dime.

Happy hunting everyone

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Does anyone know if the counter / sorters reject silver for some reason? Man if so my hunting will become a lot easier...
If you have a bank counter that rejects Ag, then absolutely use the machine to do the searching. Dump directly without even looking.
I do that whenever I plan to make a substantial purchase from Amazon. I dump dimes directly into Coinstar and get the fee-free Amazon cert. I have found the averages to be the same as if I search (6 dimes per $1000).

If I had a bank counter that rejected Ag, I would be all over that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions