Why keep Ikes?

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Just go back and read the numerous posts about Ikes.

They save them because some on here claim that coin shops pay above face value for them,I have yet to find a shop that does this and even have a few near me that hand them out in change.

If the people who claim their shops pay above face value for them,then I don't understand why they just wait to find them at random banks and not just order a box from their bank like they do with halves?

Many banks will say that they can't order them but if you get a teller who will actually get off her chair and make a call for you,they will come in.

If they just do the lazy thing and order $1 coins(sacs,SBA's,new washington) then that is what you will get but if they CALL and specifically order Ike's that is what you will receive.

Good luck and if you can sell at above face(some claim $1.07-$1.25) then you can make a NICE profit off of a $1,000 box.

Frank C

Sep 9, 2005
N.W. Az.
Detector(s) used
Minelab P.I., Nokta vlf.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like them I have saved quite a bit over the last 2 years. I will do something with them someday. When you hold one it feels like something. Unlike the Sacs ecc.

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
They are nice and chunky. I quit asking for them because I am always told no. I get the feeling that anytime one comes in some of the tellers keep them because they think they are rare or worth something.

L

Looter

ive wondered the same thing. i looked in my coin book and found out that the ikes made in SF are more than 80% silver so i assume thats why. also it seems like theres quite an abundance of them in my area ive been in one bank that had $400+ i always thought it was pointless though.

Patrick Earl Houston

Feb 21, 2007
Cypress Garden Projects, North Memphis
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
check da 'bay! 100 fo $125, 100 fo $130, 50 for $75, and dat don't take into account da shipping! better had save deez fo you savin copper pennies or '02-'06 hafs! might make yoself lil bit o cheez on dem ikez! get back at me wif yo thoughtz! peace!

OP
OP
silvershark

silvershark

Feb 1, 2007
Illinois
Whoa dude, I never knew that you could fit SO much slang into one sentence about coin roll hunting.

You deserve a metal.

-SS

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
My local coin shop pays $1.07 per Ike. I think a lot of people like them because in your hands they feel like the old Morgan and Peace dollars. Personally, I think they're a "sleeper" coin and overlooked by old, hardline numismatists. I've assembled an entire set except for the silver ones. It's a fairly easy set to assemble. I've had bank tellers tell me that ordering a box of Ikes is impossible anymore, while others have said it is indeed possible. So far, no bank has actually been able to order one yet. Anyone else had luck ordering a box of Ikes?

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
fiatboy,

I agree. They are the last of the lager sized dollars, so they have a certain cool factor. I save them for that reason alone. Not much in terms of value now, but who knows what the future will bring.

By the way, silver Ikes were produced for collectors only and not for circulation. Any found at banks were dumped by an unknowing collector, but that's not to say that we shouldn't look for them!

;)

sc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread