the shut down

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
So last week my main dump bank told me no more.
Today I went into another bank with machines the branch manger informs me I can't dump into the machines the volume I do and if I do there will be a 5% charge.
Considering I had 2k in halves I quickly stopped dumping .
I explained I would be more then willing to dump coin into the machine at a lower volume, just let me know how much I could. Manager coukdnt give me an amount that was acceptable. After and hr phone convo with the regional manger I still did not get a clear answer as to how much would be acceptable to not receive the fee. She just kept telling me it's the branch managers discretion as to what is considered a large volume of coin. Pretty garbage answer if you ask me.
So I'm not sure what my next move is. I Def will not move on quietly I no that atleast

Upvote 0

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll get more info tomorrow, but info doesn't make the tonnage in my car go away. Nor does it free up my funds for a 15 box order I am supposed to pick up tomorrow. Not looking good here.

That's what I would really be most concerned about in getting shut down. What do you do with 8 or 9k of half dollars if no bank will take them. That's a huge hit to take from a Coinstar. You could always travel out of your usual area if you had to, I suppose.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you've been doing this as long as I have you'll see if you hunt long enough at a high valume it impossibleto stay under the radar.
There was no harm in speaking with the high up since no matter what I was getting shut down.
Can't allow branch managers to run branches as there own personal piggy bank, that's a much more slippery slop then coming out from the preverbal curtain to get answers

Once a regional manager gets involved, it increases the likelihood of a larger change in policy.

I'll make a suggestion in case you or anyone else is interested. I think we can all agree that local bank employees come and go (including managers). The industry is high in turnovers and transfers. If you have problems, go elsewhere for 6 months and try again. If you keep pushing, involving higher level managers, you'll create a policy change that won't change with the next manager.

Ugotit22, I know the feeling of dealing with local managers who think they own the place. I've been in a similar situation and took a similar route as you. I got pissed and complained that I was being targeted. I involved a regional manager who created a policy to charge 5% for anything over $250 in coin. So instead of losing one branch, I lost 2 more in the town I work and another in the town I live. I'm sure the policy affected several other CRHers at other branches. And since it is written policy, I doubt it will change with new management. Like someone mentioned, higher level managers are even more likely to try and limit our CRHing hobby. They don't need any new ideas on how to reduce expenses.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Until the last time, when your temper got the better of you. Which turned from a simple branch issue (avoid that branch) to an entire bank issue (losing your account).

Hindsight is 20/20, but it could have been handled better.

Plus, these large volume searches/dumps just don't have longevity in most cases.

That was a bank with 2 branches in my area

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Until the last time, when your temper got the better of you. Which turned from a simple branch issue (avoid that branch) to an entire bank issue (losing your account).

Hindsight is 20/20, but it could have been handled better.

Plus, these large volume searches/dumps just don't have longevity in most cases.

Doesn't matter if you search 1k or 20k everyone will get shut down eventually. They way the business works. Td won't order halves for anyone period anymore as a bank policy

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Doesn't matter if you search 1k or 20k everyone will get shut down eventually. They way the business works. Td won't order halves for anyone period anymore as a bank policy

Wrong. If everyone gets shut down, it's because of the 20k people taking gross advantage of the system. A 1k hunter who doesn't make waves can fly under the radar forever, or nearly so. I've been ordering 1k a week from two different banks for the last 3 years without a hitch. At one of the banks I refinanced my mortgage, and at the other I rolled over a 401k.

I guarantee if they shut anyone down, it's gonna be the guy ordering 20k boxes a month, or a week, who keeps an average balance of $100 in his account. Learn how to play the game, play by the rules, and you can get away with a lot more than the next guy.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Wrong. If everyone gets shut down, it's because of the 20k people taking gross advantage of the system. A 1k hunter who doesn't make waves can fly under the radar forever, or nearly so. I've been ordering 1k a week from two different banks for the last 3 years without a hitch. At one of the banks I refinanced my mortgage, and at the other I rolled over a 401k.

I guarantee if they shut anyone down, it's gonna be the guy ordering 20k boxes a month, or a week, who keeps an average balance of $100 in his account. Learn how to play the game, play by the rules, and you can get away with a lot more than the next guy.

Ha what a joke
Reason your completely wrong is bc there isn't just a single hunter searching 1k a week.
It's because there's a insane amount of people searching. Td bank didn't shut down ordering halves bc a bunch of people where ordering 20k. They shut it down bc they realised it's an epidemic everyone is searching.
Rich was right you have to search as much as you can while you. Smartest advice given to me as a hunter and smartest advice I give.
Have fun searching two boxes a week guy bc when the shutdown comes, and it will, I will have pulled 1000 times more silver then you could have hoped to.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

Hey big guy
Reread you post btw.
If any of us refinance a mortgage and rolled over a 401k I'm sure they wouldn't break any of our chops.
Fraud

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hey big guy
Reread you post btw.
If any of us refinance a mortgage and rolled over a 401k I'm sure they wouldn't break any of our chops.
Fraud

Wrong. I got cut off from one of my main supply banks where I maintain a large account. Didn't mean a thing. I still draw boxes of coins from other branches of the same bank. Another one of the branches were placated when I rented a safety deposit box. This was fine for another year and then another manager came in...sometimes it is the manager sometimes it is from the top down like TD bank.

I do agree that there has been a large increase in CRH the past couple years. Just yesterday a teller told me about the guy who came in earlier in the week that bought all the halves in the bank, searched them in the lobby then returned them to her. Rookie moves like that repeated all over town are what will get CRH shut down. Dumping 20k at one bank week after week might also be a bit of a problem but if you can get away with it and not ruffle the feathers of the man then all the power to you. The trick is finding that bank and riding with it for as long as you can but be ready to accept that you will get shut down, it is only a matter of time.

Maine_Jim

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see some of the "Old Pros" still kicking down the Silver Door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread