the shut down

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
So last week my main dump bank told me no more.
Today I went into another bank with machines the branch manger informs me I can't dump into the machines the volume I do and if I do there will be a 5% charge.
Considering I had 2k in halves I quickly stopped dumping .
I explained I would be more then willing to dump coin into the machine at a lower volume, just let me know how much I could. Manager coukdnt give me an amount that was acceptable. After and hr phone convo with the regional manger I still did not get a clear answer as to how much would be acceptable to not receive the fee. She just kept telling me it's the branch managers discretion as to what is considered a large volume of coin. Pretty garbage answer if you ask me.
So I'm not sure what my next move is. I Def will not move on quietly I no that atleast

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure dumping large volumes can be a challenge. Its even a little challenging for me at times lately with my low volume of only around 5 - 6 boxes a week. I used to have 4 dump banks with good working coin counters near me I could use. Now one of the banks refuses to accept halves in their machine, another banks machine broke down a few months ago and it just hasn't been working properly ever since so I can only use it for a few hundred dollars of halves at a time, another banks machine has been having some problems lately too and has been out of service for over a week now so Im down to just one working coin counter.

So I've been using another bank on occasion lately to dump that doesn't have coin counters. I have to re-roll my coins I dump at this bank which isnt much of a problem but it would be if I were searching more volume than I currently am. Keeping the coins moving in order to have the funds to keep hunting is a challenge - esp for the higher volume guys like yourself. And as most of us know its sure not a good feeling getting backed up on your dumps.

You've probably tried this already, but with the volume you do I'd definitely try and find a bank that will take coin bags that will give you quick cash or credit. That's probably what I should look into more myself. But I know other large volume hunters sometimes have problems with banks letting them continue to do that after a while. Well good luck, hopefully things will work out for you somehow.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
I actually had a beautiful set up with another bank taking bagged coin and giving me cash on the spot.
They eventually shut me down as well saying a put over 80k in halves through the bank in a short amount of time..
I may have to start shipping it out with maybe boa and wait for the coin to hit my account. Ive been avoiding this as sending the coin out without getting anything and waiting for it to hit my account is nerve raking

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey ugotit, sorry to hear about you getting shut down. Recently I had a problem at my best dump ban, a TD. This was the only bank I had been able to talk into letting me use bags. I was bringing them $1500 a week. When I ran out of bags and asked for more, they wanted me to start paying for the bags which of course I won't do. The following week, I showed up with my $1500 dump, all nicely rolled up for them. Expressed my sorrow at having to do it this way and my friendly teller agreed that it was too bad the bean counters cut me off. Of course they took those rolled halves, dumped them in bags, and shipped them out. The following week, when I brought another $1500 of rolled halves in, my friendly teller gave me bags, saying she wasn't supposed to. Lol. So I would suggest bringing them some rolled halves. Can't hurt to try.

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you explain why you called Regional manager? I am curious why you would involve this person?

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Can you explain why you called Regional manager? I am curious why you would involve this person?

Because the branch manager could not give me an answer as to what amount would be ok and not "excessive" as she said.
That and her customer service skills where a joke

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember regional managers look at the big picture. I understand you might be frustrated but now you might have opened up a new can of worms. Hope not but still we as a community, we CRH, like to stay under the radar and draw little attention.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Just remember regional managers look at the big picture. I understand you might be frustrated but now you might have opened up a new can of worms. Hope not but still we as a community, we CRH, like to stay under the radar and draw little attention.

After you've been doing this as long as I have you'll see if you hunt long enough at a high valume it impossibleto stay under the radar.
There was no harm in speaking with the high up since no matter what I was getting shut down.
Can't allow branch managers to run branches as there own personal piggy bank, that's a much more slippery slop then coming out from the preverbal curtain to get answers

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week my main dump bank told me no more.
Today I went into another bank with machines the branch manger informs me I can't dump into the machines the volume I do and if I do there will be a 5% charge.
Considering I had 2k in halves I quickly stopped dumping .
I explained I would be more then willing to dump coin into the machine at a lower volume, just let me know how much I could. Manager coukdnt give me an amount that was acceptable. After and hr phone convo with the regional manger I still did not get a clear answer as to how much would be acceptable to not receive the fee. She just kept telling me it's the branch managers discretion as to what is considered a large volume of coin. Pretty garbage answer if you ask me.
So I'm not sure what my next move is. I Def will not move on quietly I no that atleast

It happens. It should be expected to happen. If/when a bank manager feels a "pinch" and needs to cut expenses, eliminating a CRHer is an obvious choice.

I lost a dump bank very early in my CRHing days. I was very honest with the manager and told her upfront what I was doing and that I wanted to dump $1000 per week through their counter. I further informed her that if she'd do that for me, then I'd move a low 6-figure CD into her bank when it matured in about 3 months. She happily agreed. After about 6 weeks of only dumping ~$500 per week, I was told that I could no longer dump "large amounts" of coin. I could not get an exact definition of "large amounts" either.

I remember Rich Hartford telling me that every week he expected to get cut off. He also said he was going to get all he could, while he could (and he did).

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
It happens. It should be expected to happen. If/when a bank manager feels a "pinch" and needs to cut expenses, eliminating a CRHer is an obvious choice.

I lost a dump bank very early in my CRHing days. I was very honest with the manager and told her upfront what I was doing and that I wanted to dump $1000 per week through their counter. I further informed her that if she'd do that for me, then I'd move a low 6-figure CD into her bank when it matured in about 3 months. She happily agreed. After about 6 weeks of only dumping ~$500 per week, I was told that I could no longer dump "large amounts" of coin. I could not get an exact definition of "large amounts" either.

I remember Rich Hartford telling me that every week he expected to get cut off. He also said he was going to get all he could, while he could (and he did).

Rich was my buddy. Miss him, we used to talk crhing all the time.
My thoughts are the same as his. Get all you can while you can

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss Rich too. I never met him but I like him. I loved the picture he had with his grand daugther as his avatar. I told him that once.
DW

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich was my buddy. Miss him, we used to talk crhing all the time.
My thoughts are the same as his. Get all you can while you can

Without being rude, that's how we got to play the game. Get what you can out of them while you can.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that if you were polite and friendly, you wouldn't have been cut off? even a thank you can go some ways in the hobby... and donuts, fatten them tellers up and they will treat you well.
And then get blacklisted and hell brought upon you by the banks.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I was always polite and friendly, always followed there limit, brought them brownies and donuts every other week, thanked them every time, called before I went in, etc. etc.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was always polite and friendly, always followed there limit, brought them brownies and donuts every other week, thanked them every time, called before I went in, etc. etc.

Until the last time, when your temper got the better of you. Which turned from a simple branch issue (avoid that branch) to an entire bank issue (losing your account).

Hindsight is 20/20, but it could have been handled better.

Plus, these large volume searches/dumps just don't have longevity in most cases.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure I'm being completely shut down as well. Two of my most consistent dump banks for many months (a BMO and a US Bank) have refused coin in the last week. The bank I went to today referenced Loomis was to blame, which I believe because Loomis has a monopoly in my area, and my pickup bank (an Associated Bank) has filled me in on all the griping the delivery drivers do. I'll get more info tomorrow, but info doesn't make the tonnage in my car go away. Nor does it free up my funds for a 15 box order I am supposed to pick up tomorrow. Not looking good here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread