I paid $10.50 for $14.46 in clad, 32 silver rosies, 52 wheaties and more....

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I had some unbelievable strange luck today!
I found a new bank in the area that has coin counters free for customers.
After a little morning painting (yes, this painting will last forever at 1 wall at a time), it was time to release a coon I caught in a cage trap that had been raiding my feed. I also had some dump halves and wanted to try out the coin counter at the bank. I headed in that direction, released the critter and bought some more paint.
I got to the bank and found the counter occupied by a jovial oriental gent & his young son who were delightfully throwing rejected coins in the trash can as they emptied 3 jugs of small change in the chute.
Mortified, I quickly introduced myself and dove in the can after the coins. Dad was putting the silver dimes in a jar lid, damning the silver rejects and "leafy cents".
I quickly assessed the pile and offered him $10 for his rejects after spying 12 rosies and an Ike.
No, he said- that's too much.
No, I said - I collect them and know the silver is worth more than a dime.
He happily accepted and said - OK - now I feel better about taking your $10.
The machine jammed and we talked about where he got all the change while the nice teller fixed it. He said he travels the US with work and got most of it in change from drive thru fast food restaurants - and, if I hadn't bought the rejects, he would have spent the change in the same place!
The teller cleared the jam and the reject box overflowed. My new friend scooped it all up and dumped it in my jar and said these are all yours - I just need to print my receipt ($273+) . I gave his son a shiny 2000P half and they were thrilled.

Totals:

Clad:
1 - 76 Ike, 4 Quarters (bent), 113 dimes, 3 nickels and 91 pennies.

Silver:
1 - 42 canadian dime.
Rosies:
46x1,50x1,51Dx2,52Dx2,53Dx1,54Dx1,56x1,57x1,60x2,60Dx4,61Dx2,63Dx2,64x4,64Dx7.
1 - 44 war nickel

Wheaties:
13x1,
2-x1,25x3,26Dx2,27x1,27Sx1,29x2,34x3,35x1,35Dx1,36x1,36Dx1,37x2,37Dx1,40x5,40Dx1,40Sx1,41x6,41Dx1,41Sx1,
42x5,42Dx1,43D(steel)x1,44x2,44Dx2,48x1,52Dx1,55Dx1,56Dx1 & 57Dx1.

Foreign:
Canadian:
Quarters x 2, Dimes x 10 (1-69- any silver there?), nickels x4 (1-1940 -anything special?), pennies x 4.

Turks and Caicos - 81 quarter crown x 1
Singapore - 90 10 cents x1
Venezuela - 65 - 25 centimos x 1
Swiss - 88- 20 rappen x1,
Greek 03 -2 AE TT TA x1

Attachments

• stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 375
  • rosies.jpg
    rosies.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 385
  • wheats.jpg
    wheats.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 386
  • warnick.jpg
    warnick.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 383
  • turks.jpg
    turks.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 375
  • helv.jpg
    helv.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 371
  • venz.jpg
    venz.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Great Finds. My one similar experience was from a group of young spanish people. I got about 5 coins pre 1870 including one 1869 US 2 cent piece. And a bunch of other more recent foriegn coins. They absolutely refused any money for them. I offered them $5 and they would not except it. Which is probably about what they were worth as all the old coins were in poor to almost good condition. Your deal was much better, except for my 2 cent piece. Which has sentimental value! ;D

T

TreasureTales

A fool and his money.... LOL, what a great deal. Now that's what I call easy pickins. WTG. Dang, did you ask him if he ever gets any strange brass-color coins. hehehe

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Wow TXTim, talk about being in the right place at the right time, eh? 8) Man, what a great haul! :) One thing I don't understand though. Why in the world would this machine reject Rosies, wheaties etc.? ??? What, it ONLY accepts American Clad? I'm baffled, please explain a little, for this poor ol' dozy Canuck. ;D

Sounds like these machines could/would/should be good places to "hang out" with a cup of java and a cool smile on yer face, a couple hours a day? 8)

Thanx for such an interesting post dude! ;)

Regards,

lb

OP
OP
TxTim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Dimeman said:
You got a start on a foreign coin collection also!!!!! Good job. ;D

Thanks Robbie-
You wouldn't believe the stash of foreign stuff I have - My work used to send me everywhere on the planet and I saved all my change. A lot of that foreign coinage and paper is really beautiful - except the stuff with Saddam's face all over it!

OP
OP
TxTim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
larrybass said:
Wow TXTim, talk about being in the right place at the right time, eh? 8) Man, what a great haul! :) One thing I don't understand though. Why in the world would this machine reject Rosies, wheaties etc.? ??? What, it ONLY accepts American Clad? I'm baffled, please explain a little, for this poor ol' dozy Canuck. ;D

Sounds like these machines could/would/should be good places to "hang out" with a cup of java and a cool smile on yer face, a couple hours a day? 8)

Thanx for such an interesting post dude! ;)

Regards,

lb

Hey Larry -

Thanks.
It seems like most of the coin machines reject old silver - a lot folks find silver in the reject slot. Maybe the machines calibrate size to weight and spit out the heavy ones?
You're right - if one had the time, one could probably hang out and run across a customer like that and do pretty well.
Teller might beat you to it!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Tim.....that is is homerun there buddy. It's a good thing you got there when you did. That was great!!! Quite a haul there......kudos! Thanks for the pictures too.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
:o Wow, what a great score! The man was so nice to allow you to purchase his reject coins even after you said that they are silver and worth more than a dime. The foreign coins are great as well. Congratulations :)

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure the moment.

Events like that happen very rarely.

Enjoy the rush and congrats !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread