Found a 1923 S Quarter at a local pawn shop

jun808bug

Feb 11, 2014
If I'm not CRH, I'm searching for more AG to stack. I bought some quarters at 14x face value at a nearby pawnshop. It included this baby. 1923 S. The rest are dateless or common dates.
Awesome day
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430694869.036266.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430694927.975685.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430694973.789763.jpg

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. I'd wait until you have numerous coins you want to send in, because I believe someone on here said it is cheaper that way. 2013 Redbook's lowest grade priced is G-4 at $280.

OP
OP
jun808bug

jun808bug

Feb 11, 2014
Awesome find. I'd wait until you have numerous coins you want to send in, because I believe someone on here said it is cheaper that way. 2013 Redbook's lowest grade priced is G-4 at $280.

Ok thanks, I'll do that. And I only paid $3.50 for it, LOL.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! It's much better than G4. Early dates in the SLQ series tend to lose their dates quickly. It grades F++/ maybe full VF. Coin is worth $800 to $1000!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, the only reason to get a coin graded is to add a little credence to the authenticity and to verify the exact grade if you want to sell. If you aren't interested in selling, I just don't see the point as it really doesn't matter what the exact grade happens to be. However, its your coin and your money, so do whatever pleases you the most.

I also like how there haven't been any posts about you "robbing" or "cheating" the pawn shop. Had you bought this off an individual for $3.50, I can almost guarantee there would have been numerous chastising comments.

Great find! I agree that the coin will likely grade in the F12 - VF25 range. Have a look for yourself: PCGS Photograde Online

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was selling them I should look it up myself.

If there's a pile of circ'ed junk silver, I'd buy it as a lot and any key dates are a bonus.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think another good reason to get a coin graded that is if you're going to keep it. Someday when you leave this earth how was your next family member or whoever gets the coins going to know that corders worth $1000 versus three dollars? What an awesome coin. I paid $350 for mine and it doesn't look nearly as nice as that one. Nice find!! I would go back to that pawnshop every week tell him to save coins for you if they get any Buy them every time!!

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid23, That's post of the month material there (at least for me). My family may never care as much about my collection as I do and I don't want them cashing in valuable coins for face or melt value. Slabbing a coin should at least bring enough attention to prevent it from being deposited at the bank. It changes my perspective on some of the coins I should probably get graded.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid23, That's post of the month material there (at least for me). My family may never care as much about my collection as I do and I don't want them cashing in valuable coins for face or melt value. Slabbing a coin should at least bring enough attention to prevent it from being deposited at the bank. It changes my perspective on some of the coins I should probably get graded.

See my brain works once in a while. However I was sitting in traffic because five people decided to crash into each other for no reason. And had the whole road blocked for 35 minutes and I was listening to kids music and going crazy. Of course I haven't ever sent any off to get graded. I have some gold coins and like to do that with but I choose to go yard sailing instead of sending coins to get graded. Maybe when summer comes and the kids move out the house I'll send them in. LOL if I don't have to sell them to pay for food to feed them.

Talk about the family not caring though. My son says they are very interesting I hope you sell them to buy me a car. I send your butts going to get a job I'm not buying a car. Although my van might have about 400,000 miles on it when he turns 16 so he can drive that I'll save it for him. But they all despise it. I just save it until I have a good reason to sell it and I haven't had one yet.

My wife said why don't you sell off some of your stuff that you've been collecting and we can go shopping for the day!!! I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. Not only because I would have to sell it to buy that but I can't stand going into the stores and paying retail for things. I did that once with my wedding ring for my life I don't plan on ever doing that again. Unless their clothes on sale but even that's a stretch! I'm a cheapo!!

OP
OP
jun808bug

jun808bug

Feb 11, 2014
Wow! I had no idea it would be worth so much. I definitely need to get it slabbed. Otherwise, it might end up sold at a pawnshop for less than melt value, LOL. Thanks for the input gang. Keep on searching. If your not looking, you're not finding jack.....HH

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Beachkid, but why wouldn't a 2x2 flip with something like, "Value: $700+ in May, 2015" written on it suffice just as well?

Again jun808bug - its your sensational find and your money. Do what you like with both and don't let anyone (myself included) talk you out of your decision. If you do get it graded, for sure let us know what grade it receives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread