First haul cashing coins at bank and NERVOUS!

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I will be taking my first haul of CRH'ing coins which is about $700 to my bank today and I am pretty darned nervous.. I do not know how this is supposed to work and if they will hate me, etc. I was told by my bank that this Kinecta further down the road has a coin counting machine, so I am going there. How does this usually work though? Is the machine behind the glass and the tellers process the coins, or do I do this myself? Do the coins usually need to be separated into containers or can they all be mixed together?

I feel like $700 is a lot and have no idea how normal or abnormal this is going to be for them. I would really appreciate some tips and some insight on what to do and what to expect. ???

The last thing I want is to be a burden and get cut off already!

I appreciate any help at all!

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dump, you'll get over the nervousness soon enough. Just remember to be kind to the tellers. I've dumped thousands of dollars at my credit union before and the tellers laugh and ask if I found anything good. Of course I bring them cookies and chocolate all the time.

Good luck and HH

Vdubguy

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you be nervous? Were you ever nervous dumping your piggy bank into the coin machine as a kid? It's the same thing.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay cool I'll bring them baked goods next time. I'm nervous because of the warning's I've read here about people getting cut off.

Is it easier to mix all coins into one big container? Or better to have multiple small ones organized by coin?

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like being organized, so i dump by denomination. But I don't think it makes a difference.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay cool. I have about 4 boxes of different denominations, about to head out. Thanks for the advice. :)

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laaaame the coin machine has been full at my bank since last thurs and my bank can't get the people to come out and take the coins out despite calling them multiple times. What a bummer! Also WTF?!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask if you can buy the half dollar, dime and quarter bag off the machine!!!!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay cool I'll bring them baked goods next time. I'm nervous because of the warning's I've read here about people getting cut off.

Is it easier to mix all coins into one big container? Or better to have multiple small ones organized by coin?

How strong are you? Haha

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just cut got off at my local bank very disappointed at Wells Fargo. I've had an account there for a long time and they wanted to charge me $18 today to deposit $800 worth. Wow

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those coin counting machines take 10% here, I don't use them.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask if you can buy the half dollar, dime and quarter bag off the machine!!!!
Woah, didn't think of that! I imagine it would be a stiff no though. They are probably not ready to be accounted for and dished out to customers.

How strong are you? Haha

I had some in my duffle bag I carried in and my gf carried a bit as well lol.

Just cut got off at my local bank very disappointed at Wells Fargo. I've had an account there for a long time and they wanted to charge me $18 today to deposit $800 worth. Wow
Man that sucks.. I'm so sorry to hear :( Just for educational purposes, how often did you dump there? Were there signs of a cut off coming? if so please tell so I can learn to read into them in advance.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe like twice a week but there was no sign of it coming they just think I'm making a lot of money off of this and they got snotty with me. I'm making next to no money off of this and it's just a fun hobby I like to do but they don't seem to understand. I guess I'm done now

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah, didn't think of that! I imagine it would be a stiff no though. They are probably not ready to be accounted for and dished out to customers.

Ask if you can buy the half dollar bag off the machine at first. Banks do let you buy the bags, but some don't. You are basically just purchasing what the $$$ amount is for coin in that bag. I've done it before with Half dollars, but that bank moved to new machines and the new machines don't use bags any more so they can't sell them. Never hurts to ask!

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you guys think they would get mad if I ask to buy the coins from the machine and dump them back in the machine in a week or so?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why you have pickup and dump banks. Never dump where you feed!!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha this bank with the machine IS my dump bank :D

Just as I said. If you're dumping there it would be unwise to buy them. Not to mention getting your own dumps. Try finding another bank with a counter and see about buying bags, or change dump banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread