First haul cashing coins at bank and NERVOUS!

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I will be taking my first haul of CRH'ing coins which is about $700 to my bank today and I am pretty darned nervous.. I do not know how this is supposed to work and if they will hate me, etc. I was told by my bank that this Kinecta further down the road has a coin counting machine, so I am going there. How does this usually work though? Is the machine behind the glass and the tellers process the coins, or do I do this myself? Do the coins usually need to be separated into containers or can they all be mixed together?

I feel like $700 is a lot and have no idea how normal or abnormal this is going to be for them. I would really appreciate some tips and some insight on what to do and what to expect. ???

The last thing I want is to be a burden and get cut off already!

I appreciate any help at all!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.. though it was an entertaining thought, I'm not going to buy the coins out my banks machine(my dump bank) because I'd rather not go through the hassle of finding another bank to sign up with for a 2nd dump bank. Unless I absolutely have to. The other day I visited about 7 banks in my area within 4 miles and I found one that was willing to order half dollars for me at no charge or deposit, or w/e. Not that I asked either, I didn't ask any banks if they would order, this particular one when asked if they had half-dollars, offered to order them. Which I picked up today. That was cool. Was a bit surprised I was only able to get $40 of half dollars between all those banks though. Most don't carry much it seems.

Whenever my bank frees up their machine I will do my first dump in their self-serve machine. I wonder how they will feel about dumping $1200.00 worth in coins. I'm guessing they won't care, but who knows.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your next problem is you only have one dump bank. They will tire of large amounts of coins over time, even if you have a good relationship with them. The larger amounts you dump the more you will need to spread them out.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.. though it was an entertaining thought, I'm not going to buy the coins out my banks machine(my dump bank) because I'd rather not go through the hassle of finding another bank to sign up with for a 2nd dump bank. Unless I absolutely have to. The other day I visited about 7 banks in my area within 4 miles and I found one that was willing to order half dollars for me at no charge or deposit, or w/e. No that I asked either, I didn't ask any banks if they would order, this particular one when asked if they had half-dollars, offered to order them. Which I picked up today. That was cool. Was a bit surprised I was only able to get $40 of half dollars between all those banks though. Most don't carry much it seems.

Whenever my bank frees up their machine I will do my first dump in their self-serve machine. I wonder how they will feel about dumping $1200.00 worth in coins. I'm guessing they won't care, but who knows.

I've been cut off for much less.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to keep my dumps at 1000 or less in the self serve machines. But I don't go to the same bank every week.

If the bank has a machine behind the line I try to keep it at 500 or less, maybe 6 700 if I am on the road and may not see that bank for a month or two.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, it seems I'll definitely need to sign up with another bank that also has a machine. I have about $1200 worth right now that I am looking to dump. This is what I went through in 22 days and I plan to slow it down drastically.

Thanks for the tip foofighters, what do you(and others ofc) suggest I do with this first haul? $500 a week at my dump bank? and what should be my method I stick to?

Some info:
#1 The teller I talked to at this bank was very nice, asked how long it took to save all my coins(I had a dufflebag full) and was enthusiastic about my hobby of collecting coins
#2 The coin machine is off to a little cubby to the left of the teller windows on the customer side for customer use.
#3 The machine was full when I visited a few days ago and the teller mentioned it had been full for a week or so, and she asked for my number to call me when it was unloaded to use.
#4 I pickup from various other banks in the area and I plan to never touch this bank for picking up, only dumping.
#5 I do plan as I've said above to drastically slow my pace down. I'm wondering with this info if you guys can help estimate what amt per week, or every 2 weeks would be okay for this bank for the long-term.

Thanks so much for reading what I have to say and helping me out btw, I really appreciate it.

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh wow, it seems I'll definitely need to sign up with another bank that also has a machine. I have about $1200 worth right now that I am looking to dump. This is what I went through in 22 days and I plan to slow it down drastically.

Thanks for the tip foofighters, what do you(and others ofc) suggest I do with this first haul? $500 a week at my dump bank? and what should be my method I stick to?

Some info:
#1 The teller I talked to at this bank was very nice, asked how long it took to save all my coins(I had a dufflebag full) and was enthusiastic about my hobby of collecting coins
#2 The coin machine is off to a little cubby to the left of the teller windows on the customer side for customer use.
#3 The machine was full when I visited a few days ago and the teller mentioned it had been full for a week or so, and she asked for my number to call me when it was unloaded to use.
#4 I pickup from various other banks in the area and I plan to never touch this bank for picking up, only dumping.
#5 I do plan as I've said above to drastically slow my pace down. I'm wondering with this info if you guys can help estimate what amt per week, or every 2 weeks would be okay for this bank for the long-term.

Thanks so much for reading what I have to say and helping me out btw, I really appreciate it.

I don't know about your situation, but at my two dump banks I have every teller's name, usual schedule, and preferred beverage saved in my phone. Before I dump, I look at the schedule and stop by the grocery store on my way to the bank. Five or six bucks to buy a bag full of cold drinks for the tellers is a great way to lose any anxiety over dumping. Instead of resenting me, they look forward to my weekly dumps. If I miss a week, they actually give me crap about it the next time I come in -- they're fiends for their sugar water!

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about your situation, but at my two dump banks I have every teller's name, usual schedule, and preferred beverage saved in my phone. Before I dump, I look at the schedule and stop by the grocery store on my way to the bank. Five or six bucks to buy a bag full of cold drinks for the tellers is a great way to lose any anxiety over dumping. Instead of resenting me, they look forward to my weekly dumps. If I miss a week, they actually give me crap about it the next time I come in -- they're fiends for their sugar water!

Very interesting! Are you talking soft drinks? That's the only real way I see keeping the cost at five or six bucks. Here people love their starbucks/coffee bean moreso than soft drinks, which is about five to six bucks per drink of course. I figure a general treat such as cupcakes or muffins would be best unless I get to know them better.

May I ask how much you dump per week?

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting! Are you talking soft drinks? That's the only real way I see keeping the cost at five or six bucks. Here people love their starbucks/coffee bean moreso than soft drinks, which is about five to six bucks per drink of course. I figure a general treat such as cupcakes or muffins would be best unless I get to know them better.

May I ask how much you dump per week?

Buy a few $5.00 gift cards to Starbucks and give them to the tellers every once in a while.

I usually only dump $25.00 worth of pennies here and there, a few hundred bucks in dimes and nickels here and there, and rarely $500 in halves. (I don't like searching halves for some reason)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its better than having a knock at your door and being questioned by the police about money laundering .

No one's gonna come knocking at your door. You obviously aren't dumping enough that anyone would care, otherwise you would have stopped long ago due to the fees you would be paying. I call shenanigans!

nighteagle

Greenie
May 24, 2015
Ma
Primary Interest:
Other
No one's gonna come knocking at your door. You obviously aren't dumping enough that anyone would care, otherwise you would have stopped long ago due to the fees you would be paying. I call shenanigans!

You're right I'm not dumping alot, $50 max per week. And I dump at a coinstar, not a bank. Its obvious you trust the government far more than I do. If your dumping $500 + a week in a bank, sooner or later big brother will notice. All I'm saying is becareful...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread