mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I made a truly unique find today out of a box of cents. Only a few rolls in, i pulled a coin that caught my eye immediately. I saw three letters spread out in a triangle pattern and at 1st glance thought it was some type of modern token. Turned it over to see that it was anything but modern, it was a high grade 1909 wheat cent. The reverse was modified by some hand tooling method. The 3 letters had me stumped, what could they stand for?
Near the end of my workshift. I show it to a coworker. Suddenly he sees something i didn't notice all night. I'm certain he is correct about the letters meaning. I can only imagine a WW1 soldier taking the time to carve this and carry it with him into battle. It looks like it was in a bezel at one time and was carried as a symbol of hope. I felt a connection with that soldier of 100 years ago through his message on that single coin. 100 years later, we're still seeking it.

Attachments

• DSCN4953.JPG
    DSCN4953.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 899
  • DSCN4950.JPG
    DSCN4950.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 880
Upvote 0

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an added note, the lines separating the letters could represent the peace symbol, or a broken rifle at that period of time.

:coffee2: I don't remember in any of my history classes having a peace sign during WW1. The peace sign that I know of was used during the Vietnam War & the single line was coming down from the top & met the 2 lines branching out 45 degrees about halfway down. The lines don't look like a representation of a rifle in any way. If a soldier carved it, the US entered WW1 in April 1917 which was only 8 years after the cent was minted. Maybe it's something that could be considered "trench art".
HH
Gary

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With extreme magnification it may be possible to determine whether or not rotary/power tools were used ,
this is one way that period "Hobo" nickels are distinguished from modern ones.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2: I don't remember in any of my history classes having a peace sign during WW1. The peace sign that I know of was used during the Vietnam War & the single line was coming down from the top & met the 2 lines branching out 45 degrees about halfway down. The lines don't look like a representation of a rifle in any way. If a soldier carved it, the US entered WW! in April 1917 which was only 8 years after the cent was minted. Maybe it's something that could be considered "trench art".
HH
Gary

I was thinking the same thing Gary.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With extreme magnification it may be possible to determine whether or not rotary/power tools were used ,
this is one way that period "Hobo" nickels are distinguished from modern ones.

The lines are all straight into the devices. This was definitely done by hand. I'm a machinist by trade.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cool find without a doubt, but making any statement regarding origin and meaning is purely speculative with any evidence to back it up. It could of been hand tooled in 1909 or 1959.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The peace symbol was 'created' in 1958 and is representative of the flag symbols (military) for the letters 'N' and 'D'... which are representative for 'Nuclear Disarmament'. That being said, even if this was created after 1958, the peace symbol would have an 'upward' arm going through the 'W'. Basically, what I'm saying is... that isn't the peace symbol.

I'm going to throw out more non-confirmable speculation here: The carving looks a lot like a steering wheel. In 1940, the founder of Chrysler died... a man by the name of Walter P. Chrysler. In the early 30's, the Chrysler Desoto changed from a 4-spoke steering wheel to a 3-spoke steering wheel (a 4 spoke was very very common at the time, 3 spokes were not). Also, Walter had a boy born May 27, 1909. Hrrrmm.... :laughing7: :happy2: :sign10: :laughing11: :laughing3:

Either way... cool penny!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the suggestions to what this might represent. As Snakeman Bill said, it is all pure speculation. I still believe though based on a few features(a small area of original mint luster, the heavy oxidation on the reverse, and the high grade of the obverse that this was engraved no more then 10/15 years after it was minted. Some great suggestions and ideas. Thanks again, MM2

gklug

Jul 22, 2014
Wilkes-Barre
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro with 8.5x11 DD stock coil, 5x8 DD and NEL Storm coil. Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome coin and find. Great story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread