MisterCrabApples

May 23, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to CRH( 3 weeks) and figured I would drop a line to say "Hello".....

I am having some moderate success with it , I guess....

I have searched around 2000 dollar worth of halves, 500 dollar worth of quarters and 500 worth of dimes...

Results so far...2-90% halves, 24-40% halves, Zippity do da in quarters, and 1-64 dime..

I have a question about "proofs"... I havent found any I dont think and from everything I have read I will know when I do find one. Is it just a very nice looking coin or what? I read something about '87 I should be looking for too. Are there any other years I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
They must not be picked in your neigborhood.

I took $40 to a new dump bank and the teller said, "I know a guy that's going to be happy to get these. He collects halves and gets the silver and a few other years out of them." I just said, "really, I never thought of that." ;D

Now I know that my bank tellers cherry pick and another guy and I are exchanging dumped halves.

I guess I gotta head out of town a ways.

Burt

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to keep the 87 & 87D as they were low mintages. The proofs are relatively easy to spot as they usually have a deep mirror finish and are very sharply struck. ALL of the clad proofs will have an S mintmark and conversely if you find a clad and it has an S mintmark, even if it is fairly marked up, it was struck as a proof coin but has been circulation for some time.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard MCA. Glad you joined in. That is good success on the halves. The quarters don't ususally do well because they are so commonly used the silver has already been plucked. Alot of folks are finding silver in the dimes so keep at it.

To add what Wayne has already mentioned.....you might want to check out this site. It helped me when I first started.

http://www.coinrollhunting.com/

One other thing.....very important....I love pictures so try to post them if you can...ha!

Good luck and let us know how you do in your searches.

Burt - Any information is good information......use it to your advantage....good luck.

OP
OP
M

MisterCrabApples

May 23, 2007
Thanks guys and ladies for the info...

picked up another box and 1/2 today...
resulting in 7-40%....

I really starting to enjoy this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread