My coin dealer stopped buying scrap gold.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coin dealer in Texas does not buy scrap gold any more. He said the State passed harsh regulations and that know they have to take your finger prints, picture, id, and register with the state every piece. He said it is not worthy and tha just the paper work is overkilling and that they are not going to hire extra staff for this. Again the gov messin up. I will just sell in the other market then. F the gov.

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until your gold is stolen and the police catch the guy cashing it through is ID and fingerprints...

It should be treated like any other pawn transaction, where there is a high probability of stolen goods.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets worse and worse every year!

Accordselux, I disagree! There are more reasons for it than just stolen stuff. That is what they blame it on so that people support it! If I was in the business still, and not honest? I could make it disappear fast! The paper work doesn't mean much when it comes to stolen stuff.

Cobbolicious

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordinarily, this just means that dealers will pay less for scrap gold, but, like pawnbrokers, will still buy it.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the law in CA when selling jewellery as scrap here also. I was fingerprinted and had to wait 3 days last November when I sold several pieces.

NC1

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Laurinburg, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a bunch of scrap I had to a flea market vendor.

I got last spot price in cash (minus 3.5%), and walked away.
They had a big sign that said "ALWAYS BUYING" and "TOP DOLLAR PAID".

You may want to try those since the over-bloated government we have wants to stick their fingers in everything we do now, or they at least want to watch.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a bunch of scrap I had to a flea market vendor.

I got last spot price in cash (minus 3.5%), and walked away.
They had a big sign that said "ALWAYS BUYING" and "TOP DOLLAR PAID".

You may want to try those since the over-bloated government we have wants to stick their fingers in everything we do now, or they at least want to watch.

All these laws do? Is turn honest people into criminals! By definition.

If I have a huge collection, or say the rich neighbor lady sells something? Who in the He!! wants all their private info into the hands of anyone? I don't have stolen items, but I'm not giving my finger prints and all my personal info! What if the dealer isn't careful with the info? If I get broken into and stolen from? Can I hold the dealer responsible for not being careful with my info? Just to name a few possibilities! This stuff is crazy!!!! And people support it! "it's what's best for you" Because this is helping "you"..

Like your mentioning above, It's making a lot of underground or illegal, by definition, type dealing(that wasn't considered illegal a few years back). I'm staying kind of brief! So, some of this may make no sense to some. It's BIG money! And if you have the guts to play the game? You can make a lot! I don't have the guts!:laughing7:

Just wait? At some point coin dealers will have to do it for buying anything! It's already there in some areas! If your a dealer and don't comply?(because of beliefs) You chance losing everything you own,and your business, even though you didn't do anything illegal, other than to not agree with some stupid personal info collecting! But the guy at the flea market can bypass all laws, pay no taxes,have no license, and get slapped on wrist if caught?

Signed-------Ticked off ex-dealer and gold buyer that does not agree with new laws!!!!!:laughing7: They are not for protecting you and your stuff!

Last edited:

NC1

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Laurinburg, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many laws on the books that we most likely break 3 of them on a daily basis. You cant do ANYTHING like you used to even only 20 years ago. There was none of this crap going on when I was younger.
Don't get me started on the current school system :cussing: they are nothing more than a microcosm of the prison system where the kids are fed propaganda all day long. It was getting really bad just before my daughter graduated - I'm happy I have no more. :hello2:

I think all this is for a couple reasons:
1) to see who is selling what and for how much, and add that information to your profile at the NSA for future use.
2) keep track of personal sales, which may lead to a call to the IRS.

It is not for "our safety", or to deter crime. It is a privacy invasion pure and simple. I know it, you know it, and anybody else reading this knows it. I'm just waiting for the day they try to chip every person on the planet to track them and monitor their every move. Sickening.

But, on a brighter note, I have a Whites DFX on the way and it should be here by Friday. :icon_sunny:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many laws on the books that we most likely break 3 of them on a daily basis. You cant do ANYTHING like you used to even only 20 years ago. There was none of this crap going on when I was younger.
Don't get me started on the current school system :cussing: they are nothing more than a microcosm of the prison system where the kids are fed propaganda all day long. It was getting really bad just before my daughter graduated - I'm happy I have no more. :hello2:

I think all this is for a couple reasons:
1) to see who is selling what and for how much, and add that information to your profile at the NSA for future use.
2) keep track of personal sales, which may lead to a call to the IRS.

It is not for "our safety", or to deter crime. It is a privacy invasion pure and simple. I know it, you know it, and anybody else reading this knows it. I'm just waiting for the day they try to chip every person on the planet to track them and monitor their every move. Sickening.

But, on a brighter note, I have a Whites DFX on the way and it should be here by Friday. :icon_sunny:

I have a couple of ideas why this is being done.....Or thoughts,questions, whatever you want to call them too and they match yours!:laughing7:

1. right now you have people collecting gold and silver like crazy.(for whatever reason) they are putting laws in place for future sales.
2. Keeping track of all money transactions
3. getting down to every last detail of info collecting to profile people, or trends in people.
4. Taxes, there is millions and millions a day in money in the united states, transferred daily, in cash, in gold and silver.
When people hit tough times, they do what ever they have to, to feed their family. I'm not meaning stealing, I'm meaning making a few bucks here and there. If you look into all the areas where this has been done? It's being cracked down on. Maybe that's just the way it happened? maybe on purpose? who knows.

Anyhow, if you have the guts to play the game? Dealing in metals with out paper will be big money! Just on the idea, that there are still those of us who value privacy, and our personal info out of every ones hands! Doesn't mean it's stolen, or were trying to hide anything, other than keeping things private!

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped at one of those "We Buy Gold" set-ups at a local community center several years ago with a couple BU gold coins I had to just explore what was going on with them. Two Indians from across the water wanted to file off some grains from my coins. Certainly no offense to those people, I've worked with many of them over the years = straight up, but very rigid.

I wonder how this new law will affect them.... Probably actually protect us better. But I see a whole lot of locations advertising "We Buy Gold".

This will in effect put them out of business, I think. Maybe that's good, but it is certainly bad for us honest folks needing cash right now.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at one of those "We Buy Gold" set-ups at a local community center several years ago with a couple BU gold coins I had to just explore what was going on with them. Two Indians from across the water wanted to file off some grains from my coins. Certainly no offense to those people, I've worked with many of them over the years = straight up, but very rigid.

I wonder how this new law will affect them.... Probably actually protect us better. But I see a whole lot of locations advertising "We Buy Gold".

This will in effect put them out of business, I think. Maybe that's good, but it is certainly bad for us honest folks needing cash right now.

I'll stop there!:laughing7: I'm in the wrong forum to go further.....And yes your right! The original idea started the most recent part of it with the patriot act. I guess my problem is, I know how easy it is to do it "illegally". so, it's only hurting the honest guys that are trying to keep up with laws. The crooks? Still have ways and outlets. When I was buying, I had a lot of older people(older than me at that time in my late 20's early 30's) That did not want to even show me their drivers license. They had big collections, and don't want their info out there. I lost deals because people wanted their privacy. But the guy in the parking lot somewhere could just buy it and have no real consequence if caught. So, I do understand one of the founding ideas behind the laws. These people they are after are seasoned and know all the ways around them. These are just my thoughts because I'm bored this afternoon! Does not mean I'm right! :laughing7: Just blabbing to kill time!:occasion14:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The ancient unwritten rule of gold is, it's gold.
A buyer and seller don't get fingerprinted or asked for provenance.
If you own gold. Secure it from theft and or confiscation.
Cali. can kiss my foot.
The shop dealt with here is discreet.
Should regulation demand another position by the owner, I'll go elsewhere; but will not be fingerprinted to sell.
That opens the door to being fingerprinted and regulated to buy or own which violates the rules of gold.(Again.)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah, I'm not paranoid! Me thinks they want us all - even us lowly dogs on the totem pole.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to chuckle, and then dread....

This is the information age, right?

Only trouble is, it's more information about us instead of information about them...

Any further exploration would be POLITICAL.

Let's not go there, let's just talk about this :)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ancient unwritten rule of gold is, it's gold.
A buyer and seller don't get fingerprinted or asked for provenance.
If you own gold. Secure it from theft and or confiscation.
Cali. can kiss my foot.
The shop dealt with here is discreet.
Should regulation demand another position by the owner, I'll go elsewhere; but will not be fingerprinted to sell.
That opens the door to being fingerprinted and regulated to buy or own which violates the rules of gold.(Again.)

They are doing it at scrap yards in some areas too. I wanted to scrap some junk metal and some old batteries that were sitting around when I moved. The first scrap yard I went to wanted my drivers license and thumb print. I was also on camera. So, why do you need all that for some junk! They say new laws. I went down the road to a different place that didn't have all that yet. I'm not giving a thumb print for anything! Unless I'm arrested! This stuff is crazy!

Ohh Hey! wouldn't it just be easier on us and business's if we just had a chip in our wrist and readers! OHH boy! That would just cut out all the hassle and paperwork!:BangHead: After all it's for your protection! What's the problem?

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ohh Hey! wouldn't it just be easier on us and business's if we just had a chip in our wrist and readers! OHH boy! That would just cut out all the hassle and paperwork!:BangHead: After all it's for your protection! What's the problem?

Oh, Nitric my old friend, there is no problem. Trust us, we're just PROtecting you.....

Me thinks I've "budduded" out on this thread. They don't want me. Surely they don't want me. I've done nothing. Hmmm.... What's that noise hovering above? Is there someone coming up my driveway? I've done nothing but speak my peace...

NC1

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Laurinburg, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I don't understand the scrap yard thing either. A neighbor of mine was moving and had the same thing when he went to sell it. Plate #, DL, thumb print, and face picture. He said if he did not have to have the place empty, he would have brought it all back home and dumped it in his woods.

I will be keeping all my "good" finds, selling what I don't want, and burying the trash up in my woods - I'll keep my business private that way. :icon_thumleft:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I don't understand the scrap yard thing either. A neighbor of mine was moving and had the same thing when he went to sell it. Plate #, DL, thumb print, and face picture. He said if he did not have to have the place empty, he would have brought it all back home and dumped it in his woods.

I will be keeping all my "good" finds, selling what I don't want, and burying the trash up in my woods - I'll keep my business private that way. :icon_thumleft:

And even with all those laws? A whole 50ft bridge disappeared in PA without a trace! :laughing7: I'll try to find the link to the story and post a link below. Yep, laws sure helped in that theft!:icon_scratch: This is one of the funniest thing I've heard of, that scrapers stole! :laughing7: You have to give them credit for determination!!!

Thieves steal entire bridge in New Castle - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Last edited:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live by Dallas ARA pays 98% of spot. I send all my stuff there and I live in Florida. I haven't had a problem yet. Even worked with me before I had a license or a tax ID number so you should be all right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread