My CRH adventures so far (newbie)

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of you may have seen me posting a little here and there recently. I am currently a 16 year old who works on register every day I go to work and go through at least 10 rolls of coins per day just from that. On the side I pick up 2 boxes of pennies per week along with whatever I am feeling at the time. I have searched every denomination so far except for Ikes. So far, I have found 3 silver rosies out of $250 worth of CWR, a 64 quarter out of 600 searched, (funny how the quarter was from CWR instead of the box I ordered). I have also found 2 buffalo's in 1 nickel box and countless copper pennies/wheats/canadians from my penny boxes. That is part of the reason why I am making this post, to show you all what I have found in my first 2-3 months of hunting.

Last week I picked up my usual 2 boxes of pennies as well as my first box of halves. I had about 30 minutes before I had to go to work when I got home so I figured why not break into the box. There was no silver at the end of the box, but I did find something sticking out at me. That something was a proof 1980S (not like it was minted anywhere else) and a prooflike 1981D that im thinking has been cleaned or has fantastic luster to it. That same day I also found what looks to be a gold plated Maryland quarter in my till that I bought right after my shift. This all happened last friday.

I am wondering is anyone has found proof halves and what their success rates have been with them. I am not sure if this is a lucky find or something normal that I might find out of a box of halves. As I said previously, this is my first box. I do have the same order coming in on wednesday so I hope to find some silvers.

Nevertheless, once I searched through my dad's old collection (about $30 of pennies he put to the side of his pocket change) of pennies, I was instantly addicted.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's common to find proofs in halve boxes. They're usually impaired so not worth too much.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with enamel. Hold onto them in case you start an albumn. Also you'll notice you will find quite a few halves in decent shape, almost uncirculated (AU).

OP
OP
I

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with enamel. Hold onto them in case you start an album. Also you'll notice you will find quite a few halves in decent shape, almost uncirculated (AU).

Yeah, I already had a album of halves coming in for the MS halves I find. I am probably going to order another one just for the proofs that I find, I think it would be very interesting+time consuming to try and fill that book. I currently have a book for every denomination currently in circulation besides silvers, buffaloes, indian head, and dollar coins. I am thinking on filling books of the dollar coins eventually though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread