Tellers that cherry pick...

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1980, a friend was a teller at a bank in Milwaukee and she told me that an elderly couple came in to get cash for their "old coins". There was several hundred dollars, face value, in U.S. Gold and Silver coins!
The teller told them that they should go to a coin dealer but they didn't want to bother with that. The teller called for the bank manager and he told them that "Silver was about forty times face value and gold was (i forget, but it was the highest it had ever been) very high." But they insisted saying "This is legal American money, so please give us the cash equivalent!" So after talking another 15 minutes he did gave them the money that they requested.
After a 30 day cooling off period, the couple did not change their minds and the manager was nice enough to offer the old coins to his employees at FACE value. What a great boss. My friend didn't want any and didn't tell me about it until it was too late.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are great when they're on your side... always look at the other side of things :)

Lets be honest, every one of us CRH have thought about getting a part time job at a bank for this very reason. We would all probably get fired for ignoring customers and opening to many coin rolls.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1980, a friend was a teller at a bank in Milwaukee and she told me that an elderly couple came in to get cash for their "old coins". There was several hundred dollars, face value, in U.S. Gold and Silver coins!
The teller told them that they should go to a coin dealer but they didn't want to bother with that. The teller called for the bank manager and he told them that "Silver was about forty times face value and gold was (i forget, but it was the highest it had ever been) very high." But they insisted saying "This is legal American money, so please give us the cash equivalent!" So after talking another 15 minutes he did gave them the money that they requested.
After a 30 day cooling off period, the couple did not change their minds and the manager was nice enough to offer the old coins to his employees at FACE value. What a great boss. My friend didn't want any and didn't tell me about it until it was too late.

In the early 80s, the highest silver got to was around $35 an ounce, which is 24 times face value. And your friend just didn't want to buy some gold for insanely cheap? I find that hard to believe.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets be honest, every one of us CRH have thought about getting a part time job at a bank for this very reason. We would all probably get fired for ignoring customers and opening to many coin rolls.
Exactly that! Ha ha, if only you knew the cold reality of banking you'd change your tune in a hurry. Tellers have the highest turnover rate in just about any line of work.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In the early 80s, the highest silver got to was around $35 an ounce, which is 24 times face value. And your friend just didn't want to buy some gold for insanely cheap? I find that hard to believe.
Great times, when silver rose from $11 in Sept of '79, to $49.45 in Jan of 1980!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice teller saved me a peace dollar that someone put in the night deposit box with their shop's money.

Sometimes I just buy Ikes or clad halves too, so they know I'm happy with anything.

Interestingly, being nice, showing your passion, and rewarding people leads to progress. It's almost like magic.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice teller saved me a peace dollar that someone put in the night deposit box with their shop's money.

Sometimes I just buy Ikes or clad halves too, so they know I'm happy with anything.

Interestingly, being nice, showing your passion, and rewarding people leads to progress. It's almost like magic.

Yep you hit the nail right on the head. It pays to make friends with tellers. Not sure why anyone would treat them like dirt, but those people are out there. There's no telling how many awesome scores those people have missed out on.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picked up what they saved me, 180$ totalling 12 1968 40% thank you very much

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread