Whats WORSE than a SKUNK ?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday morning doing my normal bank runs for dime boxes & CWR's if avail. Over the course of the trip, picked up only 3-boxes of dimes, but one of the banks that did NOT have boxes had 20-dime CWR, and 20-qtr CWR. I figure maybe, just maybe some silver. NOPE, all skunks; but what made matters worse than the skunks, nearly half of all those rolls were short 1-coin each. Whoever turned these in was purposely trying to make a quick buck on the bank that turned back to me.
This is most likely the downside of buying CWR's. However the upside is that sooner or later you can hit a collection dump. Nothing the bank or I can do about it, they most likely don't even remember what customer brought those into the bank for credit. Your comments ?
HH, DozerD.

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup just part of the game. I find though I come out ahead just as much as I'm shorted.

However, the worst cwr experience was when I bought $55 in cwr dimes and they were stuffed with cents The bank took them back (good thing I peaked in the car before driving off) but felt bad for the teller. I didn't get shorted but she was off in her till and I guess that's a lot of paperwork

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about a teller short changing you?

I had an incident where I paid 400 to get 300 in quarters and 100 in dimes. I don't remember how it happened, but the teller thought that the dime rolls were $10 each, so when I returned to my house, I found I was $100 short. This somehow slipped both of our eyes! So I quickly ran back to the bank and proved my case. Upon this realization that she messed up, the teller immediately felt awful, as shorting someone any sum of money is a teller's nightmare. Luckily, I've been going there for years, and I routinely have in-depth conversations with the tellers about this hobby, and they are respectful and actually willing to help me! I even bought them all cookies one day! I digress...

Anyways, she felt awful, and I told her not to worry about it. It was a Monday, I was tired, etc. etc. She was very grateful I didn't pursue this, and through her mistake and through my forgiveness, a friendship was born. She has now started saving me all the old faced bills she finds (old sequential 5's etc.!!!) and I regularly go and talk to her about all sorts of things. It's the little things in life that matter...

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday morning doing my normal bank runs for dime boxes & CWR's if avail. Over the course of the trip, picked up only 3-boxes of dimes, but one of the banks that did NOT have boxes had 20-dime CWR, and 20-qtr CWR. I figure maybe, just maybe some silver. NOPE, all skunks; but what made matters worse than the skunks, nearly half of all those rolls were short 1-coin each. Whoever turned these in was purposely trying to make a quick buck on the bank that turned back to me.
This is most likely the downside of buying CWR's. However the upside is that sooner or later you can hit a collection dump. Nothing the bank or I can do about it, they most likely don't even remember what customer brought those into the bank for credit. Your comments ?
HH, DozerD.

Unless you bring a small postal scale with you to the bank and weigh the rolls while you're there (they should weigh 113-114 grams), then it's going to happen sooner or later. I had a CWR recently which a sleepy teller gave a sleepy me which had only 43 dimes! To add insult to injury that day, a MWR I received at the same time was 2 dimes short... but I did also have a roll with 51 dimes...

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another good tip with CWR is carry a magnet to avoid getting stiffed with Canada nics, dimes & qtrs. counting is a long lost skill in the school system---now they tech climate change and political correctness---so short rolls are almost as bad as dimes getting counted as cents by the coin machine

smalltownfisherman

Sep 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I experienced a mechanically-roll wrap being short exactly $2.50 in dimes in a box I bought. I brought it back to the bank the next day and they charged it to Loomis and gave me the money I was shorted. I'm glad that my bank tellers are nice like that! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread