Coins of Value in "Previously Searched" Rolls of Coins

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to happen a lot... people will search through coins, but they don't pull out all of the good stuff before rolling them or re-rolling them...

For instance, I've found groups of CWRs of Nickels where all of the pre-60s have been pulled but find a whole bunch of BU coins from the 80s and even 70s, including the pricey 1982 and 1983 dated coins... Or rolls of cents, where all of the wheats have been obviously pulled, but lots of copper and 25+ year old BU coins remain...

What's your best experience in going through "previously searched" coins?

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Many people save coins based on only one trait, not even considering secondary or tertiary traits. When I first started CRH'ing I saved all nickels dated prior to 1960, rolling them up and putting them away. I didn't even think about low mintage years, and after a few years took them out to search for key and semi-key dates. Then recently after seeing Portewanace's posts, I took them out again and looked through a few rolls for near mint full steps and errors.

Same thing with cent rolls. I started saving rolls of pre-82 copper cents - I've got probably tens of thousands of them - without regard to BU coins, errors, and who knows what else. I did separate all the wheaties, but I'm obviously not going to go through them all again researching them. When I eventually sell them for pseudo copper bullion value, whoever buys them may find many keepers.

You just never know. The phrase 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' really is true.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing with cent rolls. I started saving rolls of pre-82 copper cents - I've got probably tens of thousands of them - without regard to BU coins, errors, and who knows what else. I did separate all the wheaties, but I'm obviously not going to go through them all again researching them. When I eventually sell them for pseudo copper bullion value, whoever buys them may find many keepers.
That's what I'm doing now - concentrating on cents. I think they're more entertaining for me (error-wise), but there's also the copper thing going on. Got one box last month. Have been through many of the cents with a fine tooth comb. Now I got a $50 bag and got them separated already - copper/non copper. Will "try" to go through them, but not worried about errors that I can't see at a glance. Want to get many more than this at a time, as we only go to town once or twice a month.

Am concerned about inflation over the next few months. HOPEFULLY the idiots will stop printing imaginary money soon, but that also has been helping to keep inflation down some I think. Hoping the coppers will provide a small hedge, as copper spot is so low now. Tried to buy from my local scrap yard, but they're holding onto it for the same reasons. Can't blame them!

Also, when sorting the cents, I'm still holding back the '82's and '83's, then sorting them by year and weighing. Hoping to get lucky with a '83 copper!! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread