Coins of Value in "Previously Searched" Rolls of Coins

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to happen a lot... people will search through coins, but they don't pull out all of the good stuff before rolling them or re-rolling them...

For instance, I've found groups of CWRs of Nickels where all of the pre-60s have been pulled but find a whole bunch of BU coins from the 80s and even 70s, including the pricey 1982 and 1983 dated coins... Or rolls of cents, where all of the wheats have been obviously pulled, but lots of copper and 25+ year old BU coins remain...

What's your best experience in going through "previously searched" coins?

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people only search f9r what interests them. I myself pull all the wheat cents out and leave the copper. I saved a few boxes of copper cents but I don't have the room to save buckets full. As for BU nickels unless they are key date or a war nickel I don't save them. To much of a hassle to sell them on ebay for very little profit.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What if the coins have minor scratches due to ending up in circulation? I thought once that happened that they weren't worth much more than face value.

OP
OP
J

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
What if the coins have minor scratches due to ending up in circulation? I thought once that happened that they weren't worth much more than face value.

Are you talking about impaired proof coins, kcm? They're still going to retain some good value unless they look bad. Minor scratches or marks won't kill their value, but bigger ones will. Plenty of the impaired proofs I have found in circulation fit nicely into my sets...

A regular coin with scratches can still be Mint State... they might not be 65's. but they very well could be 61's or 62's...

It all depends on the date and mintmark of the coin and their scarcity as to what wear/scratches/circulation do to their value.

OP
OP
J

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Most people only search f9r what interests them. I myself pull all the wheat cents out and leave the copper. I saved a few boxes of copper cents but I don't have the room to save buckets full. As for BU nickels unless they are key date or a war nickel I don't save them. To much of a hassle to sell them on ebay for very little profit.

Well, anything worth more than face value interests me. :icon_thumright:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you talking about impaired proof coins, kcm? They're still going to retain some good value unless they look bad. Minor scratches or marks won't kill their value, but bigger ones will. Plenty of the impaired proofs I have found in circulation fit nicely into my sets...

A regular coin with scratches can still be Mint State... they might not be 65's. but they very well could be 61's or 62's...

It all depends on the date and mintmark of the coin and their scarcity as to what wear/scratches/circulation do to their value.

Hey, I'm just getting into this - even had to look up what BU meant! :tongue3:

Have been putting super-shiny dimes, nickles and quarters back cause I didn't have a clue. ...Also don't have a lot of space for organizing them.

We don't sell online as we cannot trust to always have internet. Is there "most" of the time, but losing internet for 2-3 weeks could really mess things up for us. Heck, there's not even a pawn shop around here. There's 1 that is 1.5 hours away, but don't think they deal with coins. Next nearest is in Grand Forks, more than 2 hours away - and we rarely go there.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
rolls of halves where the folks did not understand about 40% 1965 to 1970 halves ....

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rolls of halves where the folks did not understand about 40% 1965 to 1970 halves ....

I kick myself every day for this one... the first and onky time i tried buying halves i got $20 worth an i was very unpleased i did not get a single '64!!! They were all '67 and '68's as i remember throwing a fit to my woman that im always a few years off from silver!!!!!!! Back in the wraps they went and off to the bank to get my cash back....... untill a few days later when i finally decided to read more about it UGHHHHHH ran back to the bank to find out some guy came in and bought all the halves they had.......... just my luck story of my lifeee blahhh( i have not bought rolls since)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For cents, I look for errors, wheats, and Canadians and anything else foreign in that order. Funny, I found two proof 2007's today. I don't keep copper. Too much weight for imaginary profit, by the time it takes you to sell them.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an interesting Canadian cent recently - 1967. Must be a 100-year something-or-other, as the date reads 1867-1967 on the reverse, along with what I believe to be an image of a flying goose.

Think I'll start keeping all of the proof-looking coins I find that are pre-2000. There's just too many of the post-2000 to keep track of.

And yes, I'm setting aside copper cents. Hey, I gotta have some cents about me, right!!??!! :tongue3: Won't add up to much, but when copper goes back up, should be able to sell bulk copper cents fairly easily.

Last edited:

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to happen a lot... people will search through coins, but they don't pull out all of the good stuff before rolling them or re-rolling them...

For instance, I've found groups of CWRs of Nickels where all of the pre-60s have been pulled but find a whole bunch of BU coins from the 80s and even 70s, including the pricey 1982 and 1983 dated coins... Or rolls of cents, where all of the wheats have been obviously pulled, but lots of copper and 25+ year old BU coins remain...

What's your best experience in going through "previously searched" coins?

:coffee2: I've sometimes found 40% halves in previously searched rolls of half dollars but not too often.
HH
Gary

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
KCM --up till 1968 the Canada dimes and quarter & halves were 50% silver

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an interesting Canadian cent recently - 1967. Must be a 100-year something-or-other, as the date reads 1867-1967 on the reverse, along with what I believe to be an image of a flying goose.

Think I'll start keeping all of the proof-looking coins I find that are pre-2000. There's just too many of the post-2000 to keep track of.

And yes, I'm setting aside copper cents. Hey, I gotta have some cents about me, right!!??!! :tongue3: Won't add up to much, but when copper goes back up, should be able to sell bulk copper cents fairly easily.

Yes. 1967 was Canada's centennial. Each coin had a different reverse than normal.

Canada Centennial.JPG

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
KCM --up till 1968 the Canada dimes and quarter & halves were 50% silver
That's good to know Ivan. Thank you. :thumbsup:

I don't get the halves, but got a Canadian quarter in my first box. I just threw it back in without checking it. :BangHead:

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my records, I have found more canadian silver dimes than I have found mercury dimes. Being from northwest MN you should see a fair amount of Canadian coinage in your rolls. A quick test on the Canadian is a magnet.

If it sticks it's not silver.

Actually, through 1966, Canadian dimes and quarters were 80 percent silver. Than, in 1967, they started out at 80 percent and by the end of the production year were 50 percent silver.. 1968 Canadian quarters and dimes started out a 50 percent silver/copper composition, then sometime in mid 1968 they dropped the silver and went to copper/nickle

So for sure on the 68s use a magnet to check for silver composition.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of a full box of quarters, nickels and dimes, I found 1 silver dime - and I think that came from pocket change. Finding lots of errors in cents but little of anything in the rest - including Canadian currency. Cents seem to be my best bet.....so far. That could easily change after the next town trip.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the Canadian govt has been pulling the silver as it goes thru the banks ... here in America in border states some of the older Canadian silvers still float about ...--dimes , and quarters and halves thru 1967 are 80% and late 67 and early 68 stuff early can be 50% (use a magnet on any 1968 stuff--late 1968 is worthless clad)

OP
OP
J

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of a full box of quarters, nickels and dimes, I found 1 silver dime - and I think that came from pocket change. Finding lots of errors in cents but little of anything in the rest - including Canadian currency. Cents seem to be my best bet.....so far. That could easily change after the next town trip.

You need to have a lot of patience with the Quarters and Dimes as long dry spells are the norm. But War Nickels will usually turn up fairly frequently. In my first 32 boxes worth of Nickels, I've turned up 32 War Nickels, 11 Buffalos (including a 1918-D), a 1902 V nickel, along with 2 1938-Ds and 3 1939-Ss.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of us old-timers (I'm in my early 50's) were roll hunting back in the late 1970's. 40% halves were considered "dirty" and were of no value to the Hunt Bros. when their buying drove silver close to $50 an oz. Some folks collecting back then still carry that mentality, including myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread