Any clear plastic rolls around?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't searched the supplier that used to wrap their coins in plastic in quite some time but last I checked a year ago they did switch to crimped paper rolls. I guess its company wide since I am not in NC or TX.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The reason that some cash management offices turned to the plastic sleeves several years ago was the belief that the decreased cost of the plastic sleeves would help with the bottom line. Several problems arose that brought many back to the paper roll. I will mention a few here.

Difficulty removing the sleeve. Many customers were have a grand time opening these. While more durable than paper, this aspect also made it more difficult to open without a blade to score the length of the sleeve.

Feed errors. The feed mechanisms for the plastic sleeves have a greater tendency to feed coins such that one or two end up sideways in the roll. Customers that have a thin margin have a bit of an issue when several rolls come up short 10% due to misfeeds.

Increased maintenance costs. This little item may have forced many cash management services to return to paper. Generally, the simpler the machine, the lower the repair and maintenance costs are. With many of the sleeve rolling machines vs. paper rolling machines this appears to be the case.

Just my opinion here, but if you want clear plastic sleeves just so you can edge check for silver, I think you are selling yourself short. I believe that learning to recognize errors and varieties can easily be more profitable than just pulling silver. Many who do it all, that is pull silver, errors, varieties, etc., have a far better cash flow than most who only pull silver.

Time for more coffee.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have clear wrappers for everything but halves, dollars, and ikes obviously. No change here. I wish we would switch to paper since it's a ton easier to rewrap in the paper and then send to the bank in a more organized manner. Especially since the only bank near me that has a counter has a dump limit of $150 before fees for members.

OP
OP
C

ChokeandStroke

Greenie
Aug 15, 2016
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason that some cash management offices turned to the plastic sleeves several years ago was the belief that the decreased cost of the plastic sleeves would help with the bottom line. Several problems arose that brought many back to the paper roll. I will mention a few here.

Difficulty removing the sleeve. Many customers were have a grand time opening these. While more durable than paper, this aspect also made it more difficult to open without a blade to score the length of the sleeve.

Feed errors. The feed mechanisms for the plastic sleeves have a greater tendency to feed coins such that one or two end up sideways in the roll. Customers that have a thin margin have a bit of an issue when several rolls come up short 10% due to misfeeds.

Increased maintenance costs. This little item may have forced many cash management services to return to paper. Generally, the simpler the machine, the lower the repair and maintenance costs are. With many of the sleeve rolling machines vs. paper rolling machines this appears to be the case.

Just my opinion here, but if you want clear plastic sleeves just so you can edge check for silver, I think you are selling yourself short. I believe that learning to recognize errors and varieties can easily be more profitable than just pulling silver. Many who do it all, that is pull silver, errors, varieties, etc., have a far better cash flow than most who only pull silver.

Time for more coffee.

Thanks for the info. I tried looking for errors and collectible coins but I just couldn't get into it. I love finding silver though. It's not just about profit me because so far I haven't sold anything. Lol. I don't think I ever could.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread