First Bag Yields Unbelievable Numbers

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I posted "My Best Silver Day Ever". I mentioned that I bought a bag of cents and it's time to show off the goods. The bag was off the bank's coin counter and holds $50 so I was hoping the 5000 cents would give me 50 wheaties. It exceeded my hopes by a mile.

I saw several wheaties on top when I cut open the bag.

in bag.jpg

I saw even more when I pulled out the first handful.

first handful.jpg

The bag had a grand total of 500 wheats! What are the odds that it would be exactly 500?

500 wheaties.jpg

I'll put the breakdown at the end of the post, but here are a few more pics.

The oldest was a 1909 P. The lowest mintage I found was a 1933 D (6,200,000)

Early dates.jpg

Some nice red ones...I got a fair number like this with some very early dates. Have they been cleaned?

shiny old lincolns.jpg

Another shiny batch.

30s - 40s S.jpg

Here is a breakdown:

1909 - 1
1910s - 35
1920s - 34
1930s - 93
1940s - 151
1050s - 186

Included were 17 1955s, but no DD.

That was fun and I can't wait to get the next bag of cents off the machine. The majority of these came off the top of the bag and I'm hoping they filled this one and changed it so the next bag will have a good amount too.

Happy Hunting all!

Upvote 0

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I wish they still had the penny in Canada.
I dont think the coins were cleaned, just stored a long time. I see the rainbow tonning develop on coins stored with silver or other metals usualy when exposed to air like in a case or book for long times.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score. Just curious, any foreign coins? I haven't done bags but in boxes I usually get a few Canadians and a surprise Caribbean based coin.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. Just curious, any foreign coins? I haven't done bags but in boxes I usually get a few Canadians and a surprise Caribbean based coin.

I got a handful of foreign coins including some Canadians from the 40s-60s. Maybe from the same person who dumped the wheaties.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I normally get bags now, but they're bags that the bank is about to send to the Fed Resv. Sometimes I get tons of Canadian cents (gotta love the copper!), but I don't get nearly as many wheaties as I wish. Sometimes, not a single one. Far too many newer cents now, and I hate them! I'm hoarding the copper cents for now, but who knows - I may end up keeping a collection of them, as they're disappearing faster than I ever could have dreamed! ...At least in this area.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what brand is the counter the bags are coming from? the weight of wheat/ IH are why they are rejected---you found a counter that should also accept silver. now hope the vendor keeps neglecting to calibrate the machine :laughing7::laughing7: you are VEWY, VEWY LUCKY TO GET BAGS, and BLESSED to get them from a counter that is a non- discriminating believer in "diversity". :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Somebody got into grampa's collection, shame shame. Nice collection find with all those older dates. Congrats.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! The cents in question do appear to be cleaned. Off the bat I can tell the 1910 and the 1935-S in your pictures have been cleaned. I only know because I used to do that with some of my common stuff when I first started (and I still will if I get one that's so far gone you can't read the date on it).

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice collection dump... and congrats on the better date coins you found!

As for the "shiny" cents, all 8 of them you posted are indeed cleaned... for some illustration on what an Uncirculated wheatie looks like, here's the 54-S I found yesterday...
1954s1.png

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang JC, you FOUND that?!?!? Wow, that's beautiful!! :notworthy: That would DEFINITELY go in my collection!!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be sure to keep an eye out for a 1943 copper. They are very rare and worth a lot. As that was the year of the steel cent.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally get bags now, but they're bags that the bank is about to send to the Fed Resv. Sometimes I get tons of Canadian cents (gotta love the copper!), but I don't get nearly as many wheaties as I wish. Sometimes, not a single one. Far too many newer cents now, and I hate them! I'm hoarding the copper cents for now, but who knows - I may end up keeping a collection of them, as they're disappearing faster than I ever could have dreamed! ...At least in this area.

This bag was one they pulled off the machine to send off to Loomis. I did pull the copper cents, although I'm not sure I'll continue to do that. I didn't count them, but the bag weighed maybe 1 to 1 1/2 pounds.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to keep an eye out for a 1943 copper. They are very rare and worth a lot. As that was the year of the steel cent.

Will do. I found two of the '43 steel cents.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The cents in question do appear to be cleaned. Off the bat I can tell the 1910 and the 1935-S in your pictures have been cleaned. I only know because I used to do that with some of my common stuff when I first started (and I still will if I get one that's so far gone you can't read the date on it).

I figured they were cleaned. Still happy to have them though. Thanks for the info!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I have a pile of wheaties, is there a web site that could help me find which ones are valuable? At least, I'll check for 1943 pennies ;)

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang JC, you FOUND that?!?!? Wow, that's beautiful!! :notworthy: That would DEFINITELY go in my collection!!

Sure did... it was in a box along with a 1912, 1934 and 7 other wheats... though the one in my Dansco is better...

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, and the 1944-D Steel Cent too! But your odds of finding either one are much less than being struck by lightning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread