1981-D OBW pennies

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Had an interesting week hunting. On Friday picked up two boxes of halves. First one was a skunk, 2nd one had a '92 Olympic commemorative (2nd one, 11th commemorative overall) and a proof half. 2nd roll had a '76-S BU AG (6th one). Rest of the box had 1 40%ers and 7 more proofs. Found 4 war nickels on Saturday including 2 44-S's. Got an RPM '53-S nickel. Found 13 wheaties including a 1912 and a 1919, neither rare but both old. I also found a 1981-D Lincoln OBW. So for some reason I'm conflicted as to whether I should open it or keep it as is. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't open it. No major varieties to find. I would just keep the roll. How about a pic of the rpm!

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an interesting week hunting. On Friday picked up two boxes of halves. First one was a skunk, 2nd one had a '92 Olympic commemorative (2nd one, 11th commemorative overall) and a proof half. 2nd roll had a '76-S BU AG (6th one). Rest of the box had 1 40%ers and 7 more proofs. Found 4 war nickels on Saturday including 2 44-S's. Got an RPM '53-S nickel. Found 13 wheaties including a 1912 and a 1919, neither rare but both old. I also found a 1981-D Lincoln OBW. So for some reason I'm conflicted as to whether I should open it or keep it as is. Thoughts?

???Nice finds. Hate to tell you but your 76 S can't be considered BU as you found it in a roll. I would call it AU but it's still a nice find. Congrats. Also could you please teach me what the Lincoln 81 D OBW is? I'd never heard that term before. I tried looking it up on google but it wouldn't come up.
Thanks & HH
Gary

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
As near as I can tell, OBW stands for Original Bank Wrapped. Maybe these are rolls that were purchased specially? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
???Nice finds. Hate to tell you but your 76 S can't be considered BU as you found it in a roll. I would call it AU but it's still a nice find. Congrats. Also could you please teach me what the Lincoln 81 D OBW is? I'd never heard that term before. I tried looking it up on google but it wouldn't come up.
Thanks & HH
Gary
sure it can. BU indicates the condition of a coin, not it's history.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

...If found "IN" a roll?? That would mean it's circulated. ...I suppose it's possible for not the slightest scuff to appear on one, but seems unlikely.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hate to tell you but your 76 S can't be considered BU as you found it in a roll. I would call it AU but it's still a nice find. Congrats.

...If found "IN" a roll?? That would mean it's circulated. ...I suppose it's possible for not the slightest scuff to appear on one, but seems unlikely.

Twitch is correct in calling it a 'BU' coin. In 1976, there were 5 versions of the Kennedy half minted: 1976-P, 1976-D, 1976-S (clad proof), 1976-S (silver proof), and 1976-S (silver business strike). Dansco and Intercept Shield albums refer to the business strike as a "1976-S 40% Silver BU" coin.

See attached.

View attachment 1384882

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I just don't get it. If a coin is rolled by machine, then there would probably be "some" amount of damage, if only from rubbing against other coins. And if a coin was hand rolled, unless the person had gloves on, there would be fingerprints. It's difficult for me to imagine that a coin coming out of a roll could get graded as BU. "Technically" I know it's possible - but "realistically" it probably isn't, IMO.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I just don't get it. If a coin is rolled by machine, then there would probably be "some" amount of damage, if only from rubbing against other coins. And if a coin was hand rolled, unless the person had gloves on, there would be fingerprints. It's difficult for me to imagine that a coin coming out of a roll could get graded as BU. "Technically" I know it's possible - but "realistically" it probably isn't, IMO.

The coin Twitch found is from a mint released set called "United States Bicentennial Silver Uncirculated Set". When released it was a BU (brilliant uncirculated) coin. He is not implying the coin he found would be graded MS or that it should even be called BU, it's just what it is commonly referred to to prevent confusion between the silver non-proof business strike coins (like the one he found) and the silver proof strike coins.

This is the BU set:
1976 3-pc 40% Silver Bicentennial Mint Set BU | US Mint Sets (1947 - Date) | APMEX

This is the proof set:
1976 3-Piece 40% Silver Bicentennial U.S. Proof Set | Proof Sets (1936 - Date) | APMEX

The BU designation he's giving to this coin has nothing to do with the current state that it's in as far as being handled, because I'm sure that it's got some kind of damage on it once it left it's cellophane packaging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I pulled ~4-5,000 individual coins from circulation today, across pennies, nickels and dimes, that would grade MS-60 or higher. Some would grade up at least into the MS-64 range which certainly should qualify as 'BU'. It is both easy and common to find BU coins in circulation. The easiest way is to find newer solid date offerings. Occasionally you find older BU coins. It happens all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread