Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are 4 separate coins, all show the identical "halo crazing" of the obverse indicating all were struck with the same hammer die and the same strike force. all have a southeast shift of the MM with a pronounced double foot of the P, extended right loop and wider left wall. the center of P is not sharp. all pics shot in daylight with straight angle to the coin surface. a clear "doubling" of the P is present at 20X magnification under LED light. 6 other samples found in this box have high gloss obverse with a sharp strike of the MM. I am aware that the Mint changed their MM punch process to the master die, which was to prevent the issue of early years RPM occurences.

IMG_4712.JPG IMG_4713.JPG IMG_4714.JPG IMG_4715.JPG
in a PM, Huntsman feels this may be a worn die, melting of the metal or slippage of the planchet. his opinion is without the photos--- so I hope he can nail this down via the images. :dontknow: this image shows a normal MM shot under same conditions IMG_4719.JPG

an added bonus in the box is this 2005-P OR with reverse rim CUD at 6 O'clock, plus more eagle & State die cracks

IMG_4716.JPG IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4718.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much do those state quarter cuds typically go for? I've got a few I wouldn't mind making a dollar from

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my Utah CUD has 2 watchers with a start price of $32. Cuds are king. just be sure it's not a rim dent :laughing7:
How much do those state quarter cuds typically go for? I've got a few I wouldn't mind making a dollar from

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can't be an rpm because they are not punched into the die.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I truly believe that the doubling seen on the "P" Mint mark is Die Deterioration Doubling which is more often seen on Cents and especially so the 1955-P "Poorman's Double Die" Cents. The crazing is most likely also due to Die Deterioration but a thin layer of grease cannot be ruled out as well. In reference to the Clad slippage, smearing and small blobs of Cladding that we all have seen so much of beginning with the State Quarters, then National Parks Quarters and now with State Territories Quarters Programs, I theorize that not only is Die Fatigue involved but also, that the Dies are being so overworked to meet excessive production demands that they are becoming super heated and are somewhat responsible for the aforementioned at the beginning of this sentence. It is just a theory and I could be totally wrong and I would hope that others have opinions to the cause.

Frank

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the greatest respect for the blatant lack of quality control at the Philly mint. I have pulled over 200 clad quarter errors in the last 5 boxes____ and NONE are Denver Mint. for all who care, the '95 thru '98 P mint clads are rife with die cracks on both sides and in varying locations. it won't be long before I have all "57 states" :laughing7: in error quarters. the posted Oregon CUD has an obverse crack from the hair tip thru "OL" to rim. keep up the shoddy production PHILLY________y'all helpin' me to pay the bills :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:
I truly believe that the doubling seen on the "P" Mint mark is Die Deterioration Doubling which is more often seen on Cents and especially so the 1955-P "Poorman's Double Die" Cents. The crazing is most likely also due to Die Deterioration but a thin layer of grease cannot be ruled out as well. In reference to the Clad slippage, smearing and small blobs of Cladding that we all have seen so much of beginning with the State Quarters, then National Parks Quarters and now with State Territories Quarters Programs, I theorize that not only is Die Fatigue involved but also, that the Dies are being so overworked to meet excessive production demands that they are becoming super heated and are somewhat responsible for the aforementioned at the beginning of this sentence. It is just a theory and I could be totally wrong and I would hope that others have opinions to the cause.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that cracks are so common should and always has meant they have little value. Port, I will say with all certainty that if people are buying coins with one crack in them they aren't educated collectors. Multiple yes, but one, more power to you!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The fact that cracks are so common should and always has meant they have little value. Port, I will say with all certainty that if people are buying coins with one crack in them they aren't educated collectors. Multiple yes, but one, more power to you!

While many coins with Die Cracks have little value over face value, there are collectors of such mishaps or errors just like folks that collect coins with Lamination and De-Lamination Errors, Cuds, Struck Thru Grease, Filled Die Errors, Off-Center Strikes, Broadstrikes and on and on. These collectors are willing to pay a premium for nice coins with multiple or more Die Cracks. Just look at some of the Morgan and Peace Dollars (VAMs) that have sold for big premiums and having nothing else different (wrong) variety/error-wise except they were struck by severely fatigued/failing Dies. Some of these VAMs fetch hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars depending upon their' condition and assumed rarity.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread