Just a little teller story and a surprise!

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's an odd coin roll hunting story.

My local bank called. The teller (who is totally awesome) called to tell me that someone brought in a lot of wrapped pennies, and would I like them? Sure, I said, so I went down and bought $70 out of the $100 they cashed in.

I found 17 Wheaties and a bunch of really nice examples from the 1970's that I could use to upgrade the ones in my penny folder. I replaced the ones I took and added a couple dimes just in case it ran short.

I gathered the pennies and took them to a branch of my dump bank over in the next town. Once there, I handed them over to be counted and I waited in the lobby. The guy came back and asked me how much I thought I had. I said around $70. He said I came back with $71.29.

Oh, I thought to myself, a bit of a windfall for me. Either the machine couldn't count or there was some money left over in the machine. The latter was more likely, simply because I have brought coin in there before and got an accurate count.

"Oh, I almost forgot. We found these...they were caught by the magnet."

He handed me a small, metal eyelet and a blackish disc. He said he thought it might have been a coin, but since it stuck to a magnet, it wasn't. I looked at it closely, and I instantly knew it was a 1943 steel penny. I explained to him how in 1943 the U.S. Mint made pennies out of zinc-coated steel because the war effort needed the copper.

"Oh! Well, while I was dumping in your pennies, I saw some copper Wheat pennies," he said.

Sure, I laughed to myself. I search pennies specifically for Wheaties and Indians for the 99% part, so I highly doubt I missed a single one, even among 7,000 of them. I surely would not have missed the steelie. At least he's trying to make small talk and was friendly.

Given the stuff he gave me and the altered total, there were obviously coins left in the machine. Oh, well...score for me.

Oh, the steelie? It is one messed-up penny! I might try to soak it to see if that crud can come off. It's not like I can hurt it much more, LOL...

steelie.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if evapo-rust would work?

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before TD Bank pulled their Penny Arcade machines I was doing 10k a week in half dollars. Most of my branches let me take everything off the magnets(they normally just threw whatever was on them in the trash). One time I got a double handful of steelies off one magnet. I averaged two steels a week. I was selling them on eBay for $7/roll. Still have a few rolls left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread