Fair price for 40% half dollars

OP
OP
Scott W

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
This isn't an attempt to sell. Just asking opinions on value.

Silver_Coin_Newb

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400

Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone sold any of their 40% finds? I am getting overloaded with them, and would like to part with about 200 of them.
I was wondering what the going price for them. Spot? A percentage under or over?

Silver shop in town offered me $1.60 a piece. Ended up selling 48 on eBay for just under $120. Came to just under $2.50 a piece. Seems that's the going price on eBay for circulated halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Has anyone sold any of their 40% finds? I am getting overloaded with them, and would like to part with about 200 of them.
I was wondering what the going price for them. Spot? A percentage under or over?

I normally look at a site like APMEX or something like that. See what they are selling for, and also what they are offering. Right now it is $4.82 to sell to them, and $5.59 to buy $1 face from them. Then I split it. That means I would try to sell my 40% right now at about $5.30 per $1. I use craig's list most of the time, and meet people at a bank and they pay cash. People can't buy them that cheaply, and you can't sell them that high normally. It is a mid point. That of course fluctuates too, but that is how I do it, and I normally get about what I ask for them. Good luck to you.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
condition matters. you want a buyer who wants numismatic quality & will pay for it. if they are crap then scrap it is.:BangHead: ---AU/MS ---dat's bein' a whole udder thing :laughing7:. don'ts be needin' a Tiffany shopper wit' a Walmart wallet :laughing7:

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay. Fair prices paid. You need $1000 value to sell provident. Ebay you take 10% off melt and list, and then lose 10% to ebay / paypal, but the go fast. Another option is craigslist. Meet inside the bank, safest place I can think of, to sell coins. I did this with some 40%s a while back, was happy with sale.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post me for melt - they usually disappear. Heck, even a little over melt.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawn shops, the absolute worst place to take coins!

Heck, I'd take 2.60 each. I have a lot of them in a big jug, but we don't get near that anywhere around where I live.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The pawn shops where I live are derelict. The one time I tried to buy silver halves there, they weren't for sale.
The others don't deal in PM's 'cause they're too volatile.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a coin club near you to join. They generally have auctions at club meetings. You will get your best prices there.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most pawn shops will pay way under melt and sell above melt. You got lucky. They may be stockpiling silver and buying at melt when it's low. Let's see silver double and see if they still buy at the same price. I bet that's what happens.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a coin club near you to join. They generally have auctions at club meetings. You will get your best prices there.

There is a pawn shop here that pays spot. More than the LCS. I think spot for 40% coins is more than fair. At your coin club you actually get more than spot for 40%ers? Does the auction have no fees?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually close to spot. No fees associated with the auction. Like I said, silver is still rather low at the moment. If it goes up to say, $30 an ounce I would bet money they won't pay melt. They're doing just like us, buying low to sell high.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread