Cold Streak! 80 Rolls of Dimes Nets Zero Silver, but I Did Find a Die Crack.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing I check my dimes for errors or I'd have nothing to show for my last 80 rolls! Tried four new banks and I got jack squat! Zero silver! But I did find a decent 2013 P Rosie with multiple die cracks. Hard to take good pics, but the obverse looks like a cracked mirror if you tilt it in the light. The reverse is cracked as well, but not as noticeable. Here's a few pics:

DSC06442.JPG DSC06444.JPG DSC06448.JPG DSC06446.JPG

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
appears to be adhered laminate pulled from coins then stuck to dies. common on new clads, mainly nickels, qtrs & halves. leaves geometric patterns of varying gloss. think Huntsman has article that details this issue. cracks are raised metal that generally progress between 2 weak (engraved) points of the die, or rim to a weak point. hope I don't get severely clubbed ---just a layman's opinion---:laughing7::laughing7:

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! Didn't think it was worth much, but still a cool find...

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leaves geometric patterns of varying gloss

That's what you're not seeing, due to the lousy pics! It looks like a cracked mirror. Some parts of the coin appear reflective, while other parts are normal.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand by my assessment. wash the coin with soap or dip in acetone to remove surface dirt. this anomaly is very prominent on newer nickels like the Westward Journey series
That's what you're not seeing, due to the lousy pics! It looks like a cracked mirror. Some parts of the coin appear reflective, while other parts are normal.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was agreeing with you. I was explaining to enamel7 why he couldn't see anything wrong with the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions