I need expert advise on these halves

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Roll Hunting a box of Halves last week while I was bored and found these coins. Need some Advice (not advise...typo)

1-1972 which has doubling on the neck/chin, on the 7 and 2 and on rim. Someone also marked this coin for whatever reason they do that.
I used close up with camera magnifiers but this is as close as I could get it. I can see it clearly with my loupe. I imagine if I had one of those camera microscopes I could get even a better up close. Anyone know how to get that marker off.

Half Dollars I found (3).JPG Half Dollars I found (5).JPG Half Dollars I found (6).JPG Half Dollars I found (4).JPG

1- 1983 which has what looks like extra on the rim on bottom right hand side

Half Dollars I found (7).JPG Half Dollars I found (8).JPG

1- 1971 that has 265 DCM stamped onto it.

Half Dollars I found (1).JPG

Are any of these worth saving or have any value is mostly my question?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. Sorry I can't help with values, but ,FYI, the stamping on the 1971 looks like 265, not 263. Maybe just a typo. I would keep it just for the novelty.

OP
OP
MackinawGirl

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Sorry I can't help with values, but ,FYI, the stamping on the 1971 looks like 265, not 263. Maybe just a typo. I would keep it just for the novelty.
You are correct. I edited it. Thank you. I did a couple typos. I spelled advice wrong on the title too lol

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like nothing special to me. I would save the stamped one just for fun. I have a few stamped cents I saved.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
The 72's pics are a bit blurry, but I can see doubling. It may just be strike doubling and not worth saving, or it may be hub doubling. I would recommend looking for notches of separation. Here is a good pic that shows the difference:

xxxxxxxxx.jpg

The 1983 is a MAD (misaligned die) but is within tolerance of the mint, so it is not worth keeping.

And the 71 is kinda cool and you should keep it if you want to.

HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
MackinawGirl

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 72's pics are a bit blurry, but I can see doubling. It may just be strike doubling and not worth saving, or it may be hub doubling. I would recommend looking for notches of separation. Here is a good pic that shows the difference:

View attachment 1430666

The 1983 is a MAD (misaligned die) but is within tolerance of the mint, so it is not worth keeping.

And the 71 is kinda cool and you should keep it if you want to.

HH
Thank you for the information. I will look at it again and see if I can discern the difference.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 72 is machine doubling, spend it. The second, as was said is a misaligned die. Spend it. The stamped one is the case of someone with too much time on their hands, spend it. Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions