IKES

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask for the big dollar coins when looking for half dollars. There are some silver Ike's out there . Plus you never know , might get a Morgan or peace dollar .

OP
OP
D

Dr_Silver

Apr 7, 2017
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with your theory. I'm wondering do you save all the ones you find or turn them back in?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I always ask for the big IKE'S, because last year a teller not only had a few Ike's, but a few Morgans & Peace (4). So, always ask for the BIG coins and you just might hit old silver.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find some every week. I check them and if I don't find errors or any worth keeping, I sell them to a friend that keeps them for their daughter. They aren't worth keeping as an investment, I had $300 and that was money I would be using for my roll hunting.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I accumulate Ikes, look through them to fill my dansco, then sell them in lots of 50 (or more) on cl for 10% over face value.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have stated, they are not worth saving as an investment. You might or might not be able to sell them for a tiny profit now. Some are successful at this, while others aren't. Its a tiny profit and not worth the time and trouble IMO, unless you have the ability to both find and have a ready market to sell hundreds at a time.

Your 's' Ike might be 40% silver. All 40% Ikes have an 's' mintmark, but not all Ike's with 's' mintmarks are silver.

I typically use what few clad Ikes I come across for tipping purposes. Servers generally seem to like them, and some younger servers have never seen one before.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably worth pointing out that a couple of clad Ikes are worth money as well. Namely the 1972 Type 2 Ike is worth around $15 at a minimum, and upwards of $60 or more in mint condition.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I always ask, if I get some I use them for tips when we eat out. Always check for any silver older but rarely find those.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I like Ike. For the reasons mentioned above regarding the potential of getting a Morgan/Peace/ASE handed to you when you ask for the big dollars, there are also numerous varieties. Take the time and browse around the Ike Group site. You'll learn of varieties that you never knew existed. The Ike Group

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The short lived "Ike" dollar is much maligned by many casual collectors. I do not collect. I acquire for the purpose of selling to or trading with collectors. As pointed out, types and varieties can be worth quite a bit to the right collector. It is simply a matter of keeping an ear to the market and knowing your inventory.

Way past time for coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions