Is there a market for circulated proofs?

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Attachments

• 20604518_1768972733131666_2461816020697565855_n.jpg
    20604518_1768972733131666_2461816020697565855_n.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my proofs to coin shop and they were not interested. eBay may be a possibility if you are okay with small profit margins.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There is a market for circulated proofs. It is, in my experience, very small, with equally small premiums. I primarily use Craigslist and an email list I have put together with the names of previous buyers. eBay is also a potential resource, but I rarely use it.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold 3 rolls of circulated proofs on offer up. I've sold them for $15 a roll. It's not much but there are no fees. It really is minimal effort to list them, but also minimal profit. Keeps things interesting though

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put together some sets (70s run, 80s run, etc). You can get a little on eBay but will probably have to relist a few times.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Consider what is worth it to you. A poster mentioned above that they have sold a roll for $15 ($5 over face). It doesn't take much effort, but you still have to communicate and meet up with the people. Ebay is an option, but you have to be honest with photos showing the impairments. If not, the buyer can always claim the listing wasn't accurate and get their money back. Even if the listing is successful with no complaints, you are still dealing with a minimal profit after eBay fees. In most cases, people will say that it isn't worth their time and hassle.

Now, I still pull the nice looking proofs. But I use them for tips. The one waitress profusely thanked me for leaving such a generous tip. (The tip was the same 20%, but in proof halves). I told her it was my pleasure. Now, when I return, I get exceptional service, and likely a level of service that others don't get. That is worth more than any tiny profit margin that I would have received on eBay.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good posts and as previously stated, there is no wholesale dealer market for clad proofs found in circulation.
They are considered 'impaired' even if the 'impairment' is very slight.
The markup is too small for a dealer (and they would likely have proofs removed from sets to offer).

That doesn't mean there's no market at all, it's just a different market.
But the markup doesn't have to be as small as the 50% suggested, you just have to be creative in how you offer them (good idea baddbluff) or what venue (galenrog and Zomotion's posts). I suspect sets would sell well at flea markets or some local auction venues. Pairing those 1976 halves with something else bicentennial or patriotic might also generate some sales. Just depends on how much effort you're willing to invest. Selling them in bulk will net the lowest margin.
I had a person buy circulated Ikes from me for a small premium over face value who was selling them for $3 at a flea market! I'm sure that wasn't the only thing he was selling but apparently it worked well enough that he wanted more Ikes.

Or you can have some fun and make some new friends like Diver_Down. People seem to enjoy getting a half dollar and a proof is even better.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Lots of great ideas! What I might do, given that I have so many Bicentennials in this lot, is dump them and see how long it takes to start getting them back. I'm always trying to figure out the flow of half dollars and I go through at least a dozen boxes a week! I don't dump where I buy. That information might be more valuable than a relatively small profit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread