What's new

Half proof sale - good deal?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
0
Awhile back I bought a blank Whitman half folder - no dates on them - and filled it with circulated proofs I found while CRH'ing. Most proofs in AU condition, some pretty circulated. But in order from 1971 through 2007. I figured I'd try to sell it eventually, and today turned out to be the day.

I had a guy who was interested, and showed him the folder. I had asked what I considered to be an exhorbitant sum - $100. We settled on $50.

$50 for 36 circulated proofs: good deal or bad? I don't feel I took advantage of him, and he's a friend, so he'd sell them back to me if I asked. Pics below; as usual, my photos of proofs don't turn out well.

Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426361692.871518.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426361733.660662.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426361750.310025.webp
 
Upvote 0
That was a good deal. I would have taken it.
 
I would too (as buyer) considering the bullion value is well above that.
luvsdux
 
I think thats fair. I've done the same thing with a blank folder.
 
If both of you are happy with the price, then its fair. Regardless if its $50, $500, or $17,235.73.

I'd happily take $1.39 each for my clad proofs.
 
Good deal, there is no market for proof halves. I hang onto all the proofs I have as a savings purpose only. They aren't and will not be worth anything above face in the future, especially since they are circulated.
HH
Buff
 
I have a set I'd sell for that lol. And 100 lose ones I'd sell for .75 each :p
 
Good deal, there is no market for proof halves. I hang onto all the proofs I have as a savings purpose only. They aren't and will not be worth anything above face in the future, especially since they are circulated.
HH
Buff

I think FormerTeller and friend just proved there is a market. You could replicate the transaction on Ebay. At some price there's a market for most things. There is no DEALER market, you will not see them at coin shows, etc. There is no INVESTOR market. It may be a small group of people that would be interested and the margin over face value may not be much, but you can't say there is no market.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom