WHOA! Two solid rolls!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took off from work yesterday to have someone come in to fix and reupholster my couch, damn kids and dogs jumping on it and throwing themselves down on it cracked the frame.

Once the guy left, I made my way out to a few banks to dump some dimes and to pick up some halves.

I picked up one box of halves + $460 in CWR of halves + $7 in loose halves from several different banks across my town.

Most of it looked like the usual CWR, newer wrappers... same ol' wrappers I see everywhere...

But there was $100 worth of the CWR that had THAT look; they looked older, the paper was worn and somewhat frayed, they smelled musty...

And then in my car I noticed writing on one:

one.jpg

I threw that roll into my canvas bag with the rest of the rolls and drove right home all giddy and excited. I tried to temper my excitement -- I hadn't looked in the roll yet -- by telling myself that it could just be a trick. Indeed, that it was MOST LIKELY a trick by some other hunter. There are more of us in my area than not it seems some days.

Once I had gotten back home I started pulling out the CWR from my canvas bag and laying them out on the table in my living room, and I noticed a second roll with "FRANKLIN" written on it. And my eyes lit up...

two.jpg

So I laid everything out on the table to take inventory, barely able to hold myself back from ripping open those two rolls...

three.jpg

I was able to save that $100 in older CWR, which included the two labeled "FRANKLIN", until the very end. The box, the rest of the CWR, and the loose halves all being skunks.

I saw that the official markings on most of the wrappers said "Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company". Again, I saved the two labeled "FRANKLIN" for last... and the others out of that $100 lot of CWR ended up containing three 40%ers.

Right around then I began thinking that these two rolls could be the real deal, so I spill out both and lo and behold...

four.jpg

TWO SOLID ROLLS OF FRANKLINS!!!

My first and second solid rolls of 90%ers EVER! And only my third solid roll ever.

On on top of that, one of the rolls contained one extra coin! Yessssssssssss!

The finally tally being 41 90%ers and three 40%ers...

From the first roll of Franklins, I got:

1950 x 2
1951D
1951S
1952 x 5
1952D x 2
1952S
1953D
1954 x 3
1957 x 2
1957D x 2

And from the second roll of Franklins:

1958D x 3
1962 x 2
1962D x 2
1963 x 5
1963D x 7

And then the 40%ers:

1968D x 2

8-) 8-) 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Those are definitely SOLID rolls!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet cull of silver. You were rewarded by Buying them All. You were right in tempering your enthusiasm as being a trick. I've done it before myself to dampen the competition where I dump all over town with rolled halves with deceptive writing on them. Saturate an area for a long enough time and a few hunters might just get discouraged to give it up.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a wonderful score friend ! I too have been fortunate to hit several solid 90 percent rolls over the years (Customer Wrapped rolls)

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! Was an exciting day, and just the type of score I needed to recharge my batteries after Skunkfest 2017.

I went through the Bens with a loupe, nothing of note. Was hoping for a "Bugs Bunny", but got nada.

Scott W

Feb 7, 2011
I don't think this qualifies as nada. It's Ben two years since I last met Mr. Franklin.

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
CONGRATS!!!
I love that " they just have that look" rolls. There seams to be more solid rolls out there than usual. Hope it keeps up.
HH

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love "as advertised" rolls, great score! That gets the heart pumping for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread