May have missed a massive score, but still a big hit - second time this year
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By CJ9

Thread: May have missed a massive score, but still a big hit - second time this year

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    CJ9
    us
    Dec 2018
    NYC area
    286 times
    CRH

Hit a few banks today

$16 in cents
    $24 in nickels
    $205 in dimes
    $30 in quarters
    $3 in halves

Last bank of the morning, went in and asked for $60 in coins - $50 in dimes, $6 in nickels, and $4 in cents. Asked for halves and the teller had $2. She said that I should have stopped in a week or two ago (last time I was there was probably a month or 5 weeks ago) because someone turned in dollars that she said were very shiny like silver. She said that the person's father had passed and they turned in these coins. She also said she shipped them out. While it was not clear exactly what these coins were - I was really bummed because I may have missed some massive dump of Morgans or Peace dollars - or maybe they were just BU Ikes. I will never know. This is the same bank that I found the large wheat dump some months ago (prior post), so it is always a stop on the rotation. Guess I should visit more frequently than once every several weeks.

So she proceeded to hand me the dimes and she gave me $10 in CWR and $40 in MWR. I don't like MWR so I asked if I could give back the $40 for CWR. She only had one additional CWR and it turned out to be this vintage roll which contained solid silver (44 FDR, 6 Merc). Wonder if it was from the same person who dumped the dollar coins. I get excited when I get vintage rolls, but more often than not they are full of recent coins, or clad with 1960s, 1970s, or 1980s dates

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solid dime roll 10-12.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	1761133

This is the second time this year I have found a solid roll of silver dimes (prior post in February or March). Not from the same bank. That $6 of nickels from that bank had nothing and the cents had some common wheats.

Rest of the rolls of the day yielded one 1964 silver dime, a 1943 Canadian silver dime (both CWR) and a dateless D-mint buffalo in a MWR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other coins 10-12.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	1761134

Today more than made up for a lot of skunks in dimes lately.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7088 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    turning five bucks into a couple tanks of gas

us
    Feb 2012
    2557 times
    Coin roll hunting

Now that's what you call " being at the right place at the right time", congrats on the solid catch. In all my years of hunting dimes, I NEVER pulled a solid CWR roll.

us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    544 times
    CRHing
    So many thoughts...first big congratulations on this haul! One of my CRHing Career goals is to find a solid roll of dimes and you've done it twice in the same year?!?! Amazing! Second, KGVI coins are great. Third, you gotta nic-a-date that nickel. Could be something really cool.

us
    Oct 2011
    366 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Nice find!!

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2518 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Congrats! Happy for you.

I wonder how many of us seeing your pic and reading your post will be asking for CWRs of dimes this week!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links