Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago a friend of mine had a local coin store that was going out of business. I bought a coffee can 3/4 full of wheaties, mixed dates and generally well circulated, mostly from the 40's and 50's. My Lincoln penny board is complete from 1941-1958. I still sometimes get an occasional roll and look for dates I need (09-58 only)

Anyhow I had never looked through the can which I got basically cost, about 1.5 cents per coin. BUT I am feeling like it is cheating as I already found a 1936S 1935S and 3 or 4 from the teens, they are all maybe good condition, those after 1940 may be very good.

I am going to go through the entire can but I am not sure if I will put them in my album as I said it feels like cheating.

Upvote 0

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not cheating! The other wheats may not know you picked these "loose" coins up around the corner on the cheap. Also, how do you know the other wheats aren't a little kinky and might get a rise out of your philandering ways?!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
ROFL

I see a few from the teens, really worn at best "good" a lot with corrosion, but I am used to getting 1 wheat every 15-20 rolls and can go weeks without one. still feels like cheating on the other coins and reduces the Indiana Jones type quest.
Of course even with this can I know I will have many holes left to fill...

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely cheating, the search is half the fun, blah blah blah, another random cliche, yada yada... Thats the best thing about this hobby, there really isn't any "wrong" way to do it. Its ultimately about finding coins you want. Nice haul!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely cheating, the search is half the fun, blah blah blah, another random cliche, yada yada... Thats the best thing about this hobby, there really isn't any "wrong" way to do it. Its ultimately about finding coins you want. Nice haul!

I have had them in the coffee can for about 10 years, never looked through them, so far about 20 before 1933 almost all of them are 1950's

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand your guilt. Gong to the bank and buying them is no different. Would you feel better if you found them in your Grandmother's attic? I bought a box of pennys at the bank. All wheats! 33 were steel. No guilt here.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I went through the entire coffee can, it was actually 4/5's full and about 30 wheats before 1933,

BUT not a single wheatie that I didn't have before. Most of what I need are those with mint marks before 1925 and a 1933 and 1915

so the guilt is gone.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the thrill of the hunt. Sure it would be easy to go to a LCS and buy the missing holes in the folders, but once that filled then what, start all over. Wouldn't be a challenge if every week you found a 1909-s-vdb. I've been collecting since the 60's, and just in the last two years have been able to fill 2-holes in my folders (1914-D cent, 1916-D Merc x2). It's a hobby that doesn't cost you anything if all your finds are at FV., the coins could always be spent. Not like stamp collecting or baseball cards. Enjoy it while you can. HH DozerD

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
agree 100%

just with covid-19 it is hard to sneak out past the wife and son to go to the coin counter...

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on what your goals are.

If you hadn't already gone through the can I was going to add that you could always start a second book for which the source doesn't matter and keep one book that is CRH only.

Personally, I keep separate spreadsheets in which I track which coins I have and which I found through CRH, but that is just because one of goals was to see how many different coins I could find via CRH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread