JACKPOT!!!!! I almost had a heart attack! Bank hopping bonanza

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I went to my bank today to pick up the $1500 in half dollars I ordered last week. The person I talked to wasn't in, but she had forgot to actually place the order. I left disappointed but had a little time and decided to hit some of the local banks. The first few I was happy with as they had several rolls and the loose halves had 2 40%ers. I then went into a Wells Fargo and the teller told me they had $140 in the vault besides about $5 in loose halves, so I said I would take all they had...

When he came back with the $140 in halves he said they all came from the same client. I said that was interesting but I was thinking it was another CRHer. He then told me the client was a local McDonald's and one "kid" had spent them all. This of course piqued my interest, why would a teenager have $140 in halves? The suspense was killing me when I got out to my car, and I had to look at one of the rolls. I usually wait until I get home to open them with my kids who love hunting through them with me, but I couldn't resist. I opened a roll and a 1964 Kennedy was staring back at me. I tipped the roll so I could look at a few edges and they were all 90% silver. I opened another roll and the same thing happened.

I waited until I got home to open the rest with the kids. I still didn't believe they could all be 90% silver, but I was hoping of course. The final tally was 109 Franklin's and 171 1964 Kennedy's. All $140 face was 90% silver. I am still pinching myself. I have been getting 1 or 2 40%ers from 3 boxes, so this was an unbelievable hoard.

The other about $400 I got was decent also with 2 64's, 6 67's, a Panama coin, and three proofs, 1972-s, 1973-s, and 1987-s. I thought I would never top my beginners luck find in August of a full roll of Franklin's and Walkers at a local bank, but this blows that away and I doubt I will ever top it, but with this hobby you never know......

Attachments

• jackpot 028.JPG
    jackpot 028.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,174
  • jackpot 029.JPG
    jackpot 029.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 7,141
  • jackpot 040.JPG
    jackpot 040.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 7,115
Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Awesome find. A DREAM find. This is what we ALL are hoping for.

Kudos to you. :icon_thumleft:

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it is still out there like that. Wow... just..wow... That is a dream score.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing.. Congrats one the once in a lifetime find.. I bet you weren't too upset that they forgot your boxes now..

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to be the devil's advocate but did you happen to call the local police and ask if there was a report of stolen coins? People at my workplace when someone is bringing an ungodly amount of coins to the coinstar or to the cashiers, know to be on the lookout for suspicious activity. I had gotten 11.70 face value in silver from a guy turning in coins at 10:30 at night. even after telling him 3 times to take it to the coinshop in the morning to get more money he didn't want to do that. So I left a note with my work letting them know about the activity. The work called the cops to pass the information onto them and I told them I had no problems turning the coins back over if they were stolen. All I can imagine is some poor elderly person finding out that they got robbed or worse, some grandchild stealing from them.

But all in all a serious jackpot indeed. Congrats.

sincerely, Garoulady

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be the devil's advocate but did you happen to call the local police and ask if there was a report of stolen coins? People at my workplace when someone is bringing an ungodly amount of coins to the coinstar or to the cashiers, know to be on the lookout for suspicious activity. I had gotten 11.70 face value in silver from a guy turning in coins at 10:30 at night. even after telling him 3 times to take it to the coinshop in the morning to get more money he didn't want to do that. So I left a note with my work letting them know about the activity. The work called the cops to pass the information onto them and I told them I had no problems turning the coins back over if they were stolen. All I can imagine is some poor elderly person finding out that they got robbed or worse, some grandchild stealing from them.

But all in all a serious jackpot indeed. Congrats.

sincerely, Garoulady

A great score from 2007.......

silas1128

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats over $2.8K in just melt value now. Just amazing!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread