JACKPOT!!!!! I almost had a heart attack! Bank hopping bonanza

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I went to my bank today to pick up the $1500 in half dollars I ordered last week. The person I talked to wasn't in, but she had forgot to actually place the order. I left disappointed but had a little time and decided to hit some of the local banks. The first few I was happy with as they had several rolls and the loose halves had 2 40%ers. I then went into a Wells Fargo and the teller told me they had $140 in the vault besides about $5 in loose halves, so I said I would take all they had...

When he came back with the $140 in halves he said they all came from the same client. I said that was interesting but I was thinking it was another CRHer. He then told me the client was a local McDonald's and one "kid" had spent them all. This of course piqued my interest, why would a teenager have $140 in halves? The suspense was killing me when I got out to my car, and I had to look at one of the rolls. I usually wait until I get home to open them with my kids who love hunting through them with me, but I couldn't resist. I opened a roll and a 1964 Kennedy was staring back at me. I tipped the roll so I could look at a few edges and they were all 90% silver. I opened another roll and the same thing happened.

I waited until I got home to open the rest with the kids. I still didn't believe they could all be 90% silver, but I was hoping of course. The final tally was 109 Franklin's and 171 1964 Kennedy's. All $140 face was 90% silver. I am still pinching myself. I have been getting 1 or 2 40%ers from 3 boxes, so this was an unbelievable hoard.

The other about $400 I got was decent also with 2 64's, 6 67's, a Panama coin, and three proofs, 1972-s, 1973-s, and 1987-s. I thought I would never top my beginners luck find in August of a full roll of Franklin's and Walkers at a local bank, but this blows that away and I doubt I will ever top it, but with this hobby you never know......

Attachments

• jackpot 028.JPG
    jackpot 028.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,174
  • jackpot 029.JPG
    jackpot 029.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 7,141
  • jackpot 040.JPG
    jackpot 040.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 7,115
Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do teens eat that much at Macdonald's or is teen obesity that high or a combo of both???
Or maybe some kid brought his friends to be more popular.
Of course, maybe the dad beat his kid and this is a way to get back at em...who knows. But damn thats a lot of burgers and fries...Puke!

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
jewelerdave said:
Do teens eat that much at Macdonald's or is teen obesity that high or a combo of both???
Or maybe some kid brought his friends to be more popular.
Of course, maybe the dad beat his kid and this is a way to get back at em...who knows. But damn thats a lot of burgers and fries...Puke!

I wondered the same thing. Maybe he bought for the whole cheer leading squad? That is a load of big Macs, can you say supersize me? I hate Mcdonalds food, but I sure love their customers :D

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my.....what a great story UH. Congrats on such a nice hit. Those are the kind we all dream about. Kudos to you...bigtime!

Very honorable of you to save the rest for the family once you got home. I don't know if I could have done that.....ha! Temptation would have got the best of me I'm sure.

Again UH....very very nice. That one was a money maker. I love reading these kind of stories!

BTW - It reminds me of Tim's Franklin strike. Good luck and keep em coming!

LJ

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
lejeuene said:
Oh my.....what a great story UH. Congrats on such a nice hit. Those are the kind we all dream about. Kudos to you...bigtime!

Very honorable of you to save the rest for the family once you got home. I don't know if I could have done that.....ha! Temptation would have got the best of me I'm sure.

Again UH....very very nice. That one was a money maker. I love reading these kind of stories!

BTW - It reminds me of Tim's Franklin strike. Good luck and keep em coming!

LJ

Thanks LJ, good to hear from you. Are you back in full swing? You and Tim were my inspiration to start CRH back in August. I am still trying to figure out how to justify a family trip through Texas and Louisiana to load up on a bunch of boxes. Silver is pretty scarce here. I hit the banks for the silver and the boxes for the occasional silver and varieties. I also sell Kennedy sets on ebay and unc rolls I put together.

It is an awesome family hobby and we have been hunting again today. We have gone through $400 worth and have another $300 to go through. Nothing good yet.

Keep the faith...Ryan

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Very cool that you are turning that silver into gold. I still haven't bought my first gold yet. I would have run right to the dealer to sell those for melt though. Quick turnaround for cash.

I love this hobby. Where else can you do something you like, with family, and turn a profit?? Legally anyway! ;D
Congrats again

vegasmtl

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
vegasmtl said:
Very cool that you are turning that silver into gold. I still haven't bought my first gold yet. I would have run right to the dealer to sell those for melt though. Quick turnaround for cash.

I love this hobby. Where else can you do something you like, with family, and turn a profit?? Legally anyway! ;D
Congrats again

vegasmtl

The gold comment was just to make a comparison to a metal detecting find. The Franklins are all on ebay right now. I sell a lot of coins on ebay and have good feedback so I easily get more money than if I sold to a local dealer, even after the fees. I bought a Whitman folder and put a nice partial set of Franklins together containing 24 of the 35 dates and mints in the series. I then put all of the 1950 dates left together in a lot, and then the 1960's in a lot. All of the auctions end by tomorrow night at this time. I am still thinking about what to do with the Kennedies. I might hold on to them for a while.

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Coinlover said:
that is just too cool! 8)maybe i should get a job at mc.donalds? i just turned 15, so i could! :D

Work there, but just don't eat the food!!! :D Fast food restaurants pay well now, at least in my area. Way above minimum wage starting pay. An Arbys had a help wanted sign in the window that said "name your price".

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bet you're thankful now that your bank did not get your order in, huh?

What a great find! Thanks for the story and especially for the pics!

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Phillip_in_NM said:
I'll bet you're thankful now that your bank did not get your order in, huh?

What a great find! Thanks for the story and especially for the pics!

That is an understatement. I went from disappointment to shee glee very quickly. I think about that every day, what if???

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
I stand corrected, I guess a coin roll hunter can make the banner. Txtim is right up there with me for his hoard, I consider it like both of us being up there. What is funny is I clicked on the link on the banner not even realizing it was my find!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I usually stay away from Coin Rolls ....(come to think of it Corn Rolls too...)
But WTG on this great find and making the banner also!!!!!

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone, I am still almost in disbelief that I made the find of a lifetime. It is hard going back to the grind of boxes with very little silver, but I am an addict so I keep at it.

NICE LEGS GYPSY!!! ::)

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Congrats on the sweet score!! Somebody's pappy is very mad and somebody else's is very glad!! I hope selling them on ebay nets you more than selling them for melt.Oh yeah congrats on the banner too!!!
Bootstrap

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY CRAP!!!!! That's better than what any bank gives ya!

Look at all that shiny silver! 8)

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Congrats! Great find! Reminds me of what I found over this past summer, 5 rolls of BU 1964 Kennedies, 2 rolls of Franklins, and 5 rolls of silver quarters.

CONGRATS AGAIN!

-CC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions