Little road trip = little silver

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I went back to a city I've searched in the past. I've searched the banks in the area around the mall but decided to find Main Street and check the banks there. I went to a total of 6 banks on Main Street. 3 had no halves. 2 had a total of $24 in the teller trays with no keepers. The last one had rolls, but would only sell me $50 worth. The rolls had 2x67, 1x68-D, and 1x69-D. One of the places that had none to sell me had a very nice young teller that ran all over looking for someone who would say I could buy the bag in the counting machine. She finally brought out the Vault teller and she said they had to have a full $1,000 bag to take it off the machine. She took my name and number and told me the bag was about half full. I've left my info with 3 other tellers and no one has ever called me back about a full bag, maybe this time.

I also checked 2 of the banks near the mall. 1 had $4.50 which had a gold plated 1977 with 1960-1985 on it. Now I've found a 1960-1980 20th Anniversary and this 25th Anniversary gold plated halves. The other bank had $41 in an envelope which had no keepers.

I had no luck getting anyone to sell a bag from the counting machine. One told me their machine puts all the coins into a single bag/bin without separating them by coin type so no way to buy just the halves.

$117.50 total with 4 40% Silver and 1 Gold Plated.

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Tough one Fropa. Your experience is exactly why this hobby isn't for everyone.

Tip: If a bank tells you they have to wait until a coin counter bag is full, find out how much is already in there and determine if you want to add (already looked at halves) to fill it and get to look at the rest. I try to employ the 50/50 rule myself.

Better luck next time out.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have done that a couple times thurmonator. If I would have found enough halves before I got there I probably would have asked if I could fill the bag. I may go back in a week or two with some halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread