CRH Equipment - What do you use?

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
Aside from your hands and a light source, what equipment do you use to sort through your coin rolls and find goodies?

I'm a newb and am curious to know what you vets use as tools of the trade. I just started using a small flat-headed screw driver to pry open my fed crimped rolls. It's especially necessary on that dime rolls since my fat fingers and trimmed back nails can't seem to unroll them alone. I'm also considering some cloth gloves to avoid the nasty smell coins get on your fingers and some kind of coin tray to allow for easier silver identification based on rim coloration. Right now I make several small vertical stacks and then pick them up and hold them sideways between my fingers and browse. Would be much easier if I could dump into a coin tray like tellers have and view that way.

Upvote 0

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a lighted magnifying glass to edge search, search dates, and look for errors. Since none of my dump banks take coins in bags or have a counting machine I have to roll them. I just bought a used coin counter to make rolling easier. I use plastic boxes to dump coins in. I also have sheets of paper with all the dates of error coins and what the errors are. One sheet for pennies, one for halves, etc... with BIG lettering on them so I can see them hanging on the wall ;D For the keeper coins I have plastic coin tubes for the halves I'm going to sell and Saflip for the ones that go into my collection.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom likes to sew so I asked her to make me some canvas bags, kinda like the old bank bags. I use them when I pick up anything less than a full box. I also use them when I take my rejects back. Its a lot easier than carrying them in a tin, box, etc. Gives you a better grip when things get heavy.

OP
OP
S

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
willypurdue said:
My mom likes to sew so I asked her to make me some canvas bags, kinda like the old bank bags. I use them when I pick up anything less than a full box. I also use them when I take my rejects back. Its a lot easier than carrying them in a tin, box, etc. Gives you a better grip when things get heavy.

I found a $4.00 document carrying canvas bag w/ a flat bottom that is about the exact width of a coin roll @ the Container Store. It's cheap and works perfectly. Here's a link to the sucker. It may look flimsy, but the canvas is reinforced and sturdy.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=74538&PRODID=10018297

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I just asked my banks for canvas bags and they give them to me. I have probably 30 bags. To open the rolls I use the bottle opener part of the toe nail clippers.

HH
cat

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I do mostly bags now, back in my coin rollin' days I used a letter opener to make slit on each side of the paper wrappers such that I could get ahold of the paper and then just pull the flap to unroll the rest and usually only 1 or 2 would get stuck in the ends but those were easily released. The coins in the clear plastic coin condoms I never used any special tools to open.

When opening rolls I would open them onto a rubbermaid or tupperware type shoebox lid that is in my lap. with bags I just grab and handful and put them on the lid (unless of course I am only edge searching for silver in which case the process is just to pick up a stack at a time and glance at the edges). The container part of the shoebox I keep on the floor.

The lid of the type I have is white (or at least is when I wash it every so often) and has a rounded 1/4 inch or so lip on it which is useful for flipping coins over since you can just push them to the edge and they practically flip themselves over to see the dates if needed. Additionally since the lid is the size of a shoebox it is quite portable and I can move it closer to my face or farther away with one hand while the other manipulates the coins to read the dates (manipulates the light as necessary for some of the harder to read coins). Once one handful/roll is done, just use the lid to pour the rejects into the shoebox part of the container (which I keep in front of me on the floor). It also just so happens that the shoebox fits approx 1 bag of coins of any denomination. ($50 pennies, $200 nickels, $1000 dimes, $1000 quarters, $1000 halves) While sorting I have a little "table" off to one side (typically my left due to my setup) that I place my keepers on somewhat sorted by whatever categories I have (wheaties, canadians, silvers, or specific dates if I am searching for errors that day). In my case my "table" is one of those 3 foot high cat stands that is carpetted. When done, the cat stand also is portable and can be moved easily to the office where my computer is without carrying individual stacks of coins and without resorting.

It just so happens that the shoebox is about the right size that with the bigger ($1000 quarter) sized canvas bags it can be slid inside far enough that when dumped there isn't any risk of spilling. Basically getting the rejects ready to be cashed in.

And because all of my setup is portable I can comfortably sit in a nice big recliner the whole time I am searching with the exception of the stats and integration which I do while at my computer

FYI: The rubbermaid shoebox also makes a great portable sorting table when on the road if necessary.

So basically my "tools" are as follows:

For sorting:
Letter opener
rubbermaid shoebox (can't remember the exact brand)
cat stand
recliner
decent light

For error checking or integration:
magnifier

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most recent addition to my searching is a dust mask that covers my nose and mouth. Who knows what I'm breathing in! And a nice thin-edged letter opener works great on half rolls.

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
Best thing Ive found to use is lots of good daylight, Im so blind its the best way for me to see the coins. A magnifying glass helps too and I use a big cookie tin for holding rejects. I also have coin cheat sheets on the wall next to my desk.

Id be curious how people store there halves for long term.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
The best tool I have found to help with the CRHing is "Cruise Control" I find that if I set the peg to 75(my favorite year), I am able to search through enough rolls not to disrupt the constant cellphone use. I found a 64 ounce Slurpie does a great job on cleaning coins. Whenever I get to my next bank,I find a really shiny half at the bottom of the cup. I keep one of those Home Depot 5 gallon bucket behind my seat to catch some of the huge pile of wrappers that fly over my shoulder. Ya'll take care now ye hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Knife, magnifier and a garbage can...(halves)

I put a coin bag in the small garbage can, on the floor just under the edge of my desk.
Then I cut cut one end of the roll with the knife (like peeling a potato w/a knife)
I peel it down holding in one hand
then push the coin stack with my opposite thumb so the coin roll ends up in my hand.
Trow the wrap away and pick out the obvious keepers
lay the rest down on my paper covered desk with the tops laying away from me.(pic)
I then kind of dog paddle with both hands drawing each coin to the edge and let them drop into the sack.
with practice, I developed a rolling dog paddle and a flipping motion so that i see the face of every coin.
I inspect the dates I'm looking for with the Magnifier.
It's fast and accurate for me.

Attachments

• roll.JPG
    roll.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
S

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
I'm jealous of you folks that don't have to re-roll your coins. I wish I had a branch nearby that took unsorted / rolled coins for free.

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
seattleMD said:
I'm jealous of you folks that don't have to re-roll your coins. I wish I had a branch nearby that took unsorted / rolled coins for free.

That does seem a bit tedious...there has to be a way...
My dump banks won't even take coin in the original rolls I by them in.

OP
OP
S

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
Wetgreenie said:
seattleMD said:

That does seem a bit tedious...there has to be a way...
My dump banks won't even take coin in the original rolls I by them in.

Only thing I've seen nearby from searching on the web are banks that have machines but charge a % fee for using it. I'd rather roll that pay them - especially considering the volume and frequency of dumps when CRHing. I guess last resort is just to call branch by branch and ask or negotiate some deal whereby they allow it for free (like if I maintain $1000 savings account or something).

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To be able to go the distance to get lots of coins in small towns etc a Prius is very helpful. Getting 45 o 55mpg rocks, and lets you go where others wont/cant, it allows CHR to be profitable for trips.
A couple of 3 gallon buckets to carry the dumps in, and finger nail clippers to snap the ends of rolls,
Otherwise, longer thumb nails to get under the paper to open them up.
Also, a fat roll of cash so you dont end up having to leave any anywhere, and enough to get though someone else's dumps if you find a place where a smaller time CRH dumps there stuff.
Once found a bank with $1900 in hand rolls, Glad I could get it as many of the rolls that were older were solid silver. But I had to go though $1400 before I even found the first silver. But I was sure glad by the end of the count!

Another important tool is congeniality.

and of course My handgun, I hope I never have to use it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions