susan bs any good or worthless?

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
susan b's any good or worthless?

so at the bank today picking up some halves... i asked for large dollars from coin counter... teller says.. we have a bag of $1000 of them... she brings me the bag and of course there are no large dollar coins.. but a huge mix of susan b's and the newer 'gold' $1 coins

are susan b's any good or all worthless

Upvote 0

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Re: susan b's any good or worthless?

You can search them for the near date variaties but thats about it. Thats one ugly coin!!!

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil

LOL

thanks usmc

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Re: susan b's any good or worthless? (check all '79-P's!)

You can check for proofs of course and there are two rare varieties of proofs;a type 1 and type 2 for the 1979s and 1981s, mintmarks 's'. The difference is how clear the mintmarks are. There are also the 'near date' or 'wide rim' varieties on the 1979-p mentioned above for mint state coins.

There are some folks on eBay that love the SBAs, they grow on you over time. Definitely check for the near dates, you can see them with the naked eye with some practice.

Jason

kestrelia

May 9, 2007

Depends what you mean by worthless. If you're wondering if you'll find anything in the bag that you'll be able to sell for a profit (or much of one), the answer is yes they are worthless (besides $1), unless of course you find an error coin. Near/Far dates for circulated coins don't command any premimum, both are common. BUT if you're looking for your own collection, look for all the varieties you can, it's tough to come by 1981's and post 2001 Sacs.

Brian

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

I disagree. The wide rims/near dates on eBay are selling for between $6 to $16 each. Check the 'advanced search', 'completed items.'

That's worth more than silver.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

rdb7 said:
so at the bank today picking up some halves... i asked for large dollars from coin counter... teller says.. we have a bag of $1000 of them... she brings me the bag and of course there are no large dollar coins.. but a huge mix of susan b's and the newer 'gold' $1 coins

are susan b's any good or all worthless

I would stick to searching halves if your goal is the fun of the hunt and to earn some amount of return for your efforts. But to each his/her own. Search the coins that interest you, but don't expect to get rich off of any of them.

Some people on this forum like to search for silver dimes. It takes 5 silver dimes to equal 1- '64 or earlier half in terms of monetary value via price of silver, thus I don't really get that, since finding dimes in rolls is much more difficult to accomplish than finding silver halves. If your CRHing time is limited halves seem to be the best option. But again, if you enjoy searching through Susan B Anthonys then go for it.

I have seen here that some people have been able to find real silver dollars while going through bags of Eisenhower dollars (referred to here as "big dollar coins"). Also, the Eisenhower proofs contain some silver as well.

Jim

kestrelia

May 9, 2007

Wide Rim ... I stand corrected. I had no problem finding one for my album and read they were common, but they are selling on Ebay for a premimum. Who knows!?

Brian

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil

Yeah they are selling for a premium on Ebay ... damn I trashed 3 solid rolls of them didnt see much a few months ago happening with them ... :tard:

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Yikes. You would have had some action on 3 rolls. Dealers will buy them and break them up for resale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread