Neat finds at the street fair (some possible silver!)

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
We went to a street fair today, and wandered into a coin shop. They had a $1/each bin, and I started to dig through it to find some stuff for the little guy. I ended up with some interesting things that I wanted to show to everyone!

#1 and #2 are bronze "Bicentenial Medallions". They are in great shape!

#3 and #4 are American Revolution Bicentenial Medallions. According to the web, they were made in bronze and silver. These might be silver, but I can't verify this. Either way, they are pretty interesting and heavy.

#5 is a 1895 - 1995 Canada National Parks Dollar. Some of these were apparently made in silver, but all of the images on the web show a "frosted" coin. Someone has scraped up the side, and it appears to be silvery below the surface. I will keep this just because it is interesting.

#6 is a keeper. It is a Grand Coulee Dam Medallion. On one side, it says "Redeemable for One Dollar in trade at the Grand Coulee Chamber of Commerce until Feb., 1974". As an electrical power engineer, I had to buy this one!

#7 is also a keeper. It is a "Montana Territorial Centennial Coin". It has "Sterling 2396" stamped into the edge!

#8 is the most interesting find of the day. It is a Medallion of some sort from the New York's Word Fair. It also had the following stamped into the edge: "1961 New York World's Fair 1964 - 1965 Corporation Unisphere Presented by United States Steel Metallic Art Co N.Y. 999+ pure silver 1184". I can't find anything about this on the Web, but it'd be cool if this was valuable. Either way, it is a keeper!

#9, #10, & #11 are not silver (I thought they might be), but they are interesting.

All in all, this was a good use of $11, and everyone had a good day.

Attachments

• 1.a.JPG
    1.a.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 541
  • 2.a.JPG
    2.a.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 1.b.JPG
    1.b.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 545
  • 2.b.JPG
    2.b.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 514
  • 1.c.JPG
    1.c.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 518
  • 2.c.JPG
    2.c.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Here is the image of #5.

Attachments

• 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 485
  • 3b.JPG
    3b.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 497
OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Scalper,

Thanks! I guess we know what that's worth now!

Happy hunting!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
STDevil said:
We went to a street fair today, and wandered into a coin shop. They had a $1/each bin, and I started to dig through it to find some stuff for the little guy. I ended up with some interesting things that I wanted to show to everyone!

#1 and #2 are bronze "Bicentenial Medallions". They are in great shape!

#3 and #4 are American Revolution Bicentenial Medallions. According to the web, they were made in bronze and silver. These might be silver, but I can't verify this. Either way, they are pretty interesting and heavy.

#5 is a 1895 - 1995 Canada National Parks Dollar. Some of these were apparently made in silver, but all of the images on the web show a "frosted" coin. Someone has scraped up the side, and it appears to be silvery below the surface. I will keep this just because it is interesting.

#6 is a keeper. It is a Grand Coulee Dam Medallion. On one side, it says "Redeemable for One Dollar in trade at the Grand Coulee Chamber of Commerce until Feb., 1974". As an electrical power engineer, I had to buy this one!

#7 is also a keeper. It is a "Montana Territorial Centennial Coin". It has "Sterling 2396" stamped into the edge!

#8 is the most interesting find of the day. It is a Medallion of some sort from the New York's Word Fair. It also had the following stamped into the edge: "1961 New York World's Fair 1964 - 1965 Corporation Unisphere Presented by United States Steel Metallic Art Co N.Y. 999+ pure silver 1184". I can't find anything about this on the Web, but it'd be cool if this was valuable. Either way, it is a keeper!

#9, #10, & #11 are not silver (I thought they might be), but they are interesting.

All in all, this was a good use of $11, and everyone had a good day.

Neat finds! One coin dealer I go to has a 50% off price marked box (not as cool as everything $1), and one day not long ago I had time to kill so I looked through the box briefly. I noticed a PCGS holder and I pulled it out. It was a '63 Franklin graded MS64. I know there are alot of nice 63 Franklins floating around, but this was marked $16.00 in a PCGS holder. It costs about 30 bucks or so to get a coin graded by them in the first place. Anyway, I asked one of the workers there if this coin was 50% off and they said yes, so I took it for $8. So basically I got it for less than $2 over melt and it is an awesome looking coin. I am not into numismatics much at all but for $2 over spot I got a neat coin.

Jim

OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Jim,

That is a true "treasure"...also, just FYI, the coin shop I was at yesterday was selling halfs for $8, and quarters for $4. I originally wanted to buy some (he had a tub of each), but those prices were too steep for me.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Neat finds! One coin dealer I go to has a 50% off price marked box (not as cool as everything $1), and one day not long ago I had time to kill so I looked through the box briefly. I noticed a PCGS holder and I pulled it out. It was a '63 Franklin graded MS64. I know there are alot of nice 63 Franklins floating around, but this was marked $16.00 in a PCGS holder. It costs about 30 bucks or so to get a coin graded by them in the first place. Anyway, I asked one of the workers there if this coin was 50% off and they said yes, so I took it for $8. So basically I got it for less than $2 over melt and it is an awesome looking coin. I am not into numismatics much at all but for $2 over spot I got a neat coin.

Jim
[/quote]

Jim that was a sweet deal congrats :icon_pirat:, Ed

jamin_03

Jul 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washinton
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"#6 is a keeper. It is a Grand Coulee Dam Medallion. On one side, it says "Redeemable for One Dollar in trade at the Grand Coulee Chamber of Commerce until Feb., 1974". As an electrical power engineer, I had to buy this one!"

How many of these were minted?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread