Dimes and nickles

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Well I spent $80 for some recycled coins from Coin star and did ok. I couldnt find anyone to sell me halves today so I bought $50 in dimes and $30 in Nickles.

Nickles won but I did good with the dime by finding one 1987d with a crack in it and two mis-stamps.

Jen did much better with the nickles and she had alot of fun. Dimes just made my eyes hurt.

Ian

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
How good were the nickels? Mind telling us what exactly was found? Any war nicks or key dates or anything or just like a handful of common date 40's, etc.?

Not into that error stuff and such myself, so not sure about those dimes you found... I just check the dime rolls for silver... which is enough of a pain considering how small those damn things are... let alone date searching for errors and such. But grats on finding some keepers for you.

~Dave

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Well,

The Nickles were bunches of pre-fourties, one shield nickle and Jen told me she found a speared buffalo. I was jumping through the roof to get of work to get home to see it. I think it is a worn gouge but I am going to take it to a coin guy for verification. I found two mis-stamped dimes and one dime with a die crack error.

Recycled from coin star as far as I understand it means that its the rolls that Kroger buys back from coinstar as part of their contract. My question is does coinstar have a practice of removing silver?

I tried to see if a coinstar was available for purchase as a contract business but they are strictly in house.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfin said:
Well,

The Nickles were bunches of pre-fourties, one shield nickle and Jen told me she found a speared buffalo. I was jumping through the roof to get of work to get home to see it. I think it is a worn gouge but I am going to take it to a coin guy for verification. I found two mis-stamped dimes and one dime with a die crack error.

Recycled from coin star as far as I understand it means that its the rolls that Kroger buys back from coinstar as part of their contract. My question is does coinstar have a practice of removing silver?

I tried to see if a coinstar was available for purchase as a contract business but they are strictly in house.

What was the date on the shield nickel? Those are rare.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
A shield nickel... WOW that is intense. Those are VERY rare to find out in the wild. VERY nice work.

Like I have mentioned before... I've gone through well over a grand in nickels and have yet to find a SINGLE buffalo, let alone a V, and wouldn't even DARE to think about getting a shield.

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread