Coin Show etiquette question

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
Quick question after my first coin show experience recently. A private collector was showing a few dealers a pair of Morgans, trying to get offers. I waiting until he was done talking with the dealers and asked if I could see them (didn't even get to request a price, etc) when the dealer blurted out that I couldn't do that and private individuals weren't allowed to solicit sales, etc.

I've been to shows in many other hobbies where this isn't a concern - provided you aren't interrupting anyone's deal/sale.

With coin shows is this actually taboo?

Scott

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Scotty

Good question and here's why you got the response you did. All of those dealers paid to put up their tables on the bourse. It's kind of an unwritten rule that business is only done at the paid tables. Of course side deals between customers happen all the time. You did yours in earshot of a dealer with an attitude. Best thing would be to take this out of earshot. I've done this on many occasions. I wait until the guy is a few tables away from the spot that just declined and ask if he would like to go out to the lobby and let me look at his coins. I've been on the other end of this, too. Both parties of a private deal benefit because they don't have the overhead to deal with ... that's what irks the dealers. They have the overhead. :thumbsup:

S

seger98

hyperion said:
Scotty

Good question and here's why you got the response you did. All of those dealers paid to put up their tables on the bourse. It's kind of an unwritten rule that business is only done at the paid tables. Of course side deals between customers happen all the time. You did yours in earshot of a dealer with an attitude. Best thing would be to take this out of earshot. I've done this on many occasions. I wait until the guy is a few tables away from the spot that just declined and ask if he would like to go out to the lobby and let me look at his coins. I've been on the other end of this, too. Both parties of a private deal benefit because they don't have the overhead to deal with ... that's what irks the dealers. They have the overhead. :thumbsup:

Yes, very good response, I've seen it happen before, a coin dealer acting like he didn't want the coins at all, even throwing them down on the table until I said something to the guy, now all of a sudden the coin dealer wants the coins! (the coin dealer was a jerk)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread