Some ID Help Please

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
I found this coin today. The context of the find is that it was found in a field, ~10 inches deep, which has been tilled probably from colonial times. As you can see the coin is toast. It is copper and its diameter (20.5mm) is larger than a small cent (19mm). It appears to be about the same thickness of a dime. Its weight is 2.8 grams. I suspect that it's from the Old World. I am hesitant to do the peroxide treatment because I might lose everything. I know that's not a whole lot to go on but any help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• UNK.JPG
    UNK.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 303
OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Answer: Any identifying features

OP
OP
Yeasty

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
Let's see if anyone has any other suggestions first.

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Since it's not ID'able in current condition, I think the safest way to start is to tumble it and then go from there. yes, if it's a highly collectible coin, you've knocked value off of it, but how would you even know that unless you cleaned it up a bit. I wouldn't try anything chemical right away (as you could destroy the coin), but I think tumbling it with some water and a tiny bit of dishsoap, might make it at least Id'able.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
pour some milk on the coin and see if you see any thing that you can ID.
It wont hurt anything.

fortbball9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread